Knife guards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarrno

Reaction score
Pardon me as I get the obligatory newbie questions out of the way . . .

I'm looking for recommendations on knife guards for my Misono 440 Gyuto, Santuko and Petty. I'm not a pro, so I don't use them every day, but I'd like to store them in a knife roll in a cabinet (away from the wife and kids) and I figured guards should be a part of that plan. I don't necessarily mind springing for sayas, but part of me thinks that's not really necessary.

Cardboard sayas, effective and cheap, but ugly.

Plastic ones trap moisture. Felt lined gets gross. The clamshell kind are bulky. I say go real saya, or make some cardboard ones.

Buy some .06 kydex and borrow the wife's hairdryer and make your own gaurds... If you are storing them throw a small $2 dehumidifier in the cabinet.
Stiff cardboard works, But nothing works better than real a saya.

What NO Chop said about the plastic ones. If you've got any carbon knives, they will rust if stored in those.

Sayas are definitely the way to go, but are not all that cheap. If sayas are not an option, my personal preference is for magnetic guards. The knife fits securely and they are pretty simple to clean. If you keep everything dry when you store them there is no problem. These are less than ideal for long term storage of carbon knives as any kind of oil could make for bits of the magnetic strip getting stuck to the knife. Victorinox makes some nice sized folding magnetic guards, I have been using the same set for 2 years and nothing has fallen apart yet---you can also cut them down to whatever size you prefer which is nice.

I like the ones from Korin. If you're just using it for home they should work great.

Korin ones are exactly the same as Dexter, they're an oem item. They're great for pro use as well. I think sayas are a complete waste of money, plus they are annoying to pull up instead of sliding out, not to mention those damn pins you can easily lose.

Fish tubs, sticky back felt, scissors, tape.

Back