• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Knife rehab from a custom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420layersofdank

Reaction score
Hey KKF! I received a custom gyuto about 5 years ago and has been stored away . It needs some work such as reprofiling , thinning, and some bolster work. Its in 52100 and HRC 60+ . If anyone knows anyone that can do this for me, please PM me. I can send pics . I reached out to Dave M about a year ago but he declined saying that there is an unwritten law for knife makers to be tampering with other customs. Im not sure who to ask without offending them so kind of stuck here.
Knife details:
210mm heel to tip.
2.3 mm spine thickness at heel tapering super thin to the tip
Handle : oval amboyna burl with brass bolster and ebony ferrule.
Profile : huge belly almost like a zkramer with no flat spot.
Steel: 52100

Im on a budget of $150 to have it reprofiled to a flatter edge, ktip conversion, and needs major thinning at the edge. The bolster will also need to be trimmed a bit since it sticks put a little akwardly behind the choil

Help KKF

Maybe lefty? That would be who id email. With the crap dollar he'd probably be the cheapest as well.

Can you not get in touch to see who he'd recommend?

I know a lot of US knife makers don't like modifying other maker's work.

Sam @ Buttermilk? Good work, good price, good turnaround.

Seems a bit ambitious amount of work for your budget though.

Latest posts

Back