Knife to cut cheese vs wire?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skan

Reaction score
Hello

i'm looking for a very thin knife to cut chees and avoid it to stick or even avoid to destroy it.
The same knife should be good to cut hard cheese and soft cheese such as Camembert.

What knife would you suggest?

I've seen that cheese shops use a steel wire to cut. But sometimes they need to press very hard because it's not thin enough, because it doesn't really have an edge.
Where can I get one of these wires? a good one?

Hello

i'm looking for a very thin knife to cut chees and avoid it to stick or even avoid to destroy it.
The same knife should be good to cut hard cheese and soft cheese such as Camembert.

What knife would you suggest?

I've seen that cheese shops use a steel wire to cut. But sometimes they need to press very hard because it's not thin enough, because it doesn't really have an edge.
Where can I get one of these wires? a good one?

One knife will not serve for all cheeses. You should match the tool to the cheese.

Cut soft-ripened or crumbly cheeses like Brie or Roquefort with a skeleton blade to minimize adhesion.

Cut medium-hard to medium-soft cheeses with a wire slicer.

Cut hard cheeses like parmesan using a knife with a pear-shaped blade forced into the cheese to "break" it.

Basic issue is this is impossible.
Once you get over that hurdle,
then proceed... :rofl:
to enlightenment

There are tools such as these

20140411162529394.JPG

lira-de-bola-corta-queso-foie-12cm-ref52074.jpg

but they are not durable, they break easily.
I would prefer a very narrow good knife.

Like these guys said there isn’t a single knife that will do it all.
28c0l7t.jpg

Pictured here is a wire tool, double handled knife, Brie knife, and various Parmesan knives. They all serve a different purpose and can’t really replace each other. Another useful tool that isn’t pictured is a garrote, for bigger wheels that don’t fit on the platform of that wire cutter tool.

Question is, are you a cheese monger cutting wheels? Or do you just like to eat cheese? Because if your just cutting small peices a butter knife will work

Like these guys said there isn’t a single knife that will do it all.

Pictured here is a wire tool, double handled knife, Brie knife, and various Parmesan knives. They all serve a different purpose and can’t really replace each other. Another useful tool that isn’t pictured is a garrote, for bigger wheels that don’t fit on the platform of that wire cutter tool.

Question is, are you a cheese monger cutting wheels? Or do you just like to eat cheese? Because if your just cutting small pieces a butter knife will work

I'm just an amateur.
And I said cheese but i mean any other soft, sticky or delicate food.

Back