Knifewear Garage Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should I? Nahhh

Attachments

• 70B471EB-5096-47CF-8FBC-70E411A2AC87.jpeg
    70B471EB-5096-47CF-8FBC-70E411A2AC87.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 158
I was lucky enough to pick up a Shigefusa last year but, I'll be on the golf course tomorrow when this is released. Good luck to anybody that snags it!

Kato sold within the first minute. I wonder how many people were waiting like sharks circling the waters.

And gone....
At least i will be able to tell my grandchild that once i had a kato in my cart

Kurosaki AS chuka bocho gone as well...

Garage sale ends here for me 😅

Last edited:
I don't get this "sale" besides being able to grab a rare thing like a Kato. Even with sale pricing, most things are way more expensive compared to other sites or the same price as other sites not on sale. Like the doi kogetsu for example on sale is $100+ more expensive than some other sites on sale. Some sakai kikumori Tanakas seemed higher than normal too, and the TF denka also looked like normal prices lol

As someone that buys something at the sale every year, the scratch and dent is where it’s at 100% in terms of price. Have scored some great deals on that for knives that have been in really good shape still/like new.

The other stuff beyond Kato or the Shigs isn’t worth it

Not defending Knifewear and their surprisingly highly priced ‘Garage Sale,’ but it’s a bit more nuanced than that. Much of the stuff seems EOL/‘new’ to Knifewear, slightly different or modified from the norm - for example the Sakai Kukumori line looks a bit of a continuation of the Oul stainless -clad Tanaka that they seemed to exclusively offer (in NA), albeit with new brand, sharpener and same price

Not defending Knifewear and their surprisingly highly priced ‘Garage Sale,’ but it’s a bit more nuanced than that. Much of the stuff seems EOL/‘new’ to Knifewear, slightly different or modified from the norm - for example the Sakai Kukumori line looks a bit of a continuation of the Oul stainless -clad Tanaka that they seemed to exclusively offer (in NA), albeit with new brand, sharpener and same price
Yep I know they have a lot of interesting stuff and one offs, but at the same time they have a lot of stuff other retailers have, at higher prices while being on sale, just funny to me

I don't get this "sale" besides being able to grab a rare thing like a Kato. Even with sale pricing, most things are way more expensive compared to other...

900€ for a kato looked like a "good deal" to me. Listed at more than 1,2 or 1,3k for example on zahocho...

900€ for a kato looked like a "good deal" to me. Listed at more than 1,2 or 1,3k for example on zahocho...
I said besides the rare stuff like the Kato. Almost everything they have that is regular stock (doi, kurosaki, Nigara, TF, some tanaka) and others are either the same price or usually higher than other retailers. There are some deals that can be had but the vast majority of stock on sale is not really a sale.

I got some stuff last year at decent pricing. The current prices, at least for US buyers, is a bit high I think in part due to the conversion rate. I didn't see anything that interested me this year though.

There was a good price for a Mazaki mikagi 240. Aside from that I didn't see a deal

They had two up for $258 CAD, thought that was pretty good.

Ignore me, like totally. Not sure why I wrote Mazaki in this thread. Must have been a Monday thing. Actually meant Munetoshi. That's what a working Monday does to me.

The conversion Rate was good Back then. Not today, Lucky for us Canadian can buy cheaper in the States.
The conversion rate must have been good but, at the same time JNS sold the same item for over $900 at that time so good deals can be had at Knifewear is you're lucky.

The conversion rate must have been good but, at the same time JNS sold the same item for over $900 at that time so good deals can be had at Knifewear is you're lucky.
Yeah, everything that comes from the EU is always more expensive if it's not an EU Made item.

Anyway, congrats to whoever got the Kato, it's not perfect and hopefully, it will be fine.

Yeah, everything that comes from the EU is always more expensive if it's not an EU Made item.

Anyway, congrats to whoever got the Kato, it's not perfect and hopefully, it will be fine.
What do you mean by it’s not perfect?

Was there something wrong with the Kato? In the listing, it seemed perfectly fine.

Wish I might have come across this sooner some very definitive taste nice stuff

Back