Knives....and WIP's...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 180mm Bunka in the works. Tbh it was a 250 Gyuto before but there was a crack from the straightening hammer in the front section ๐Ÿ˜‘ so it ended up in a Bunka...

Fabian โœŒ๏ธ

Bunga bunga in the works
PXL_20240318_125926049.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Bunga bunga is a codename for a "horizontal dance" in our house.
Bunga bunga - wikipefia

Lovely knives Fabian!
The fit and finish looks superb. Together with that tapered handle i guess it is a joy just holding the knife. Smooth!
If you keep posting stuff like that, i sure will get weak one day...

๐Ÿ˜„ Everyone knows bunga bunga, I'm sure ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks for the kind words ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before I start with the last Sandvik Batch knife (petty) I'll prepare all the blades for HT. Because it'll take about 3 weeks till they are back.
3xNiolox and 3xVanadis 4e. Because I hate it doing 6x the same thing, I'll do some different types and shapes. 2x 250x60 Gyuto (the full tang is a custom) and a Sujihiki ๐Ÿซจ about ~280mm out of Vanadis. This stuff is 5,3mm thick ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Out of Niolox I'll make a Gyuto, Nakiri and Bunka ๐ŸคŒ
My belt grinder will hate me after that ๐Ÿ˜„

PXL_20240322_095447069.jpg

I want to develop the style of my handles a little further. Opinions vary a little. On the one hand, it is considered very comfortable, on the other hand, something is missing visually. I completely agree with that. So I'm going to try this western style construction. The idea has been around for a while and I think it's a good time to start with it.

Steel will be 1.2419 high tungsten, high carbon.

PXL_20240408_131919085.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
These will be monosteel? Tempting anyway!
Brillant work as always Fabian!
Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
since I am currently not able to forge, everything I make is mono (stock removal).
I'd like to learn how to forge but I can't find a workshop for me where I can do that.
And no, I can not forge in my basement ๐Ÿ˜„ my neighbors will hate me ๐Ÿ˜„

but I am constantly looking for a better workshop and at some point I will find something where I will also set up a forge

Ah, understood. Must be great to forge yourself but also a big investion.
You can buy laminates of course!
I know michael knot uses stainless cladded aogami super from Takefu.

I actually prefer monosteel, at least to some iron clads. Often these clads are very pure and thus very reactive. I see 1.2419 has more chromium than the japanese carbons and 26C3 which is nice to have!

I'll make some out of 2419 at next. Mono, stock removal of course ๐Ÿ˜„

But yeah, forging my own blades is a big thing I'll do...

Started with the .2419 Gyuto today. It'll be about 240x60x3,5mm. It's been already heat treated. Should have around 62-63HRC. 64 seems to be the maximum (that's what Xerxes said) but only with a cryo treatment. Because I have no cryo setup, I guess 62-63 should be good.
PXL_20240417_131420114.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

The big Gyuto is finished. 1.2419 steel, plane tree and Micarta handle with a pretty "crazy" handle shape tbh ๐Ÿ˜„
I wanted to do it a bit more untypical. With a crazy shape and I think it turned out pretty cool.
230g
248x59x3,4mm about 0,5mm (1cm before the tip)
Convex bevels

Back