Kohetsu AS is NOT Hiromoto AS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just to get this out there for clarifications sake.....seems to be some confusion.....

Kohetsu Aogami Super (AS) are NOT the same knives as Hiromoto Aogami Super (AS)

There are some similarities though....

1. Aogami Super (AS) core steel

2. Stainless cladding

3. Made in Seki City

4. Thick, especially at the tip.

Is it a home brand of the one you shall not name?
Also the red yo handle is very similar to Takamura's.

Dave, can the Kohetsu be reground into a decent knife, or is it an unsalvageable case? What knives are good 'spa-treatment' candidates these days in the absence of Hiromoto?

- Steampunk

P.S. Mention of Hiromoto makes me very nostalgic these days; my first really decent knife. Still sad they're gone. :(

Dave, can the Kohetsu be reground into a decent knife, or is it an unsalvageable case? What knives are good 'spa-treatment' candidates these days in the absence of Hiromoto?

- Steampunk

I'm sure they can be ground into a thinner knife but I'm unsure if etching is something worth doing or not as I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet.

I've brought this up in a few threads. My Kohetsu HAP40 wa gyuto is a bad knife, bad grind, bad profile, thick clumsy tip, has manufacturing defects etc. The red handled one is even thicker and should not EVER be mentioned in the same sentence with the Takamura!!! :nono:

My Kohetsu AS is not so bad - very thin, keeps a decent edge, tip is meh, but my Hiro on the other hand if very thick behind the edge.

I thought this was common knowledge since Hiromoto no longer makes knives so the Kohetsu can't be the same knife, however I can see this being confusing. The way it's marketed to a person who doesn't know is a bit deceptive. Since Kohetsu AS knives are under the Hiromoto AS moniker.

I thought this was common knowledge since Hiromoto no longer makes knives so the Kohetsu can't be the same knife, however I can see this being confusing. The way it's marketed to a person who doesn't know is a bit deceptive. Since Kohetsu AS knives are under the Hiromoto AS moniker.

Man that is actually pretty shady. The entire section of Hiromoto has been replaced with Kohetsu knives. They are using the Hiromoto name to sell another brand.

I feel bad for people who are new and buys the wrong product.

I received a Kohetsu in for work but the customer told me he was sending in a Hiromoto, he thought he had a Hiro AS.

but are they made by the same person?

Are they? I'm not so sure.

The knives do not appear to be constructed (laminated) the same way and/or heat treated the same. The distinctive Hiromoto pattern seen in the lamination line between steels is not present on the Kohetsu.

Maybe some of the guys who work with/for Mr. Nagao (previously making Hiromotos) now work on Kohetsus but for sure the man (Mr. Nagao) who forged the Hiromoto AS knives is not doing so any longer. Muddy waters here...reminds me of Lamson making AEB-L chef's knives called ITK as replacements for Devin Thomas' AEB-L ITK line - same steel yet not quite the same, is it?

That explains your concerns. So if a customer calls some salesman, asking for a Hiromoto, he might get a Kohetsu.

That explains your concerns. So if a customer calls some salesman, asking for a Hiromoto, he might get a Kohetsu.

I'm primarily concerned that people get what they expect but I also don't appreciate having to explain to my customer(s) the situation when it comes up. It's frustrating to be the bearer of bad news especially when the situation (as in this last case) the customer purchased the knife only because of my previous (Hiromoto) work and wanting the same results. I become part of the situation when that happens, even if not directly.

I'm primarily concerned that people get what they expect but I also don't appreciate having to explain to my customer(s) the situation when it comes up. It's frustrating to be the bearer of bad news especially when the situation (as in this last case) the customer purchased the knife only because of my previous (Hiromoto) work and wanting the same results. I become part of the situation when that happens, even if not directly.

Very clear, thanks, Dave.

My Hiromotos(last batches) are thin behind the edge, and overall a perfect knife for professional use(with the red onion exception).
2 more dear friends pros, that I have given them a Hiromoto AS as a gift, and have more Japanese knives(vg10, sg2, ZDP189), also agree that it is overall perfect, a joy to work with it for hours, and it is their go to knife.

I had Kohetsu 240 AS gyuto and I liked profile and how it cut but it was so badly made that it bended if I pinch grip it too hard. Still mad to myself that I didn't buy Kurosaki.

I bought the yo handled Kohetsu AS 240 when it was offered as a forum special for a crazy good price. It reminded me very much of the Voldemort "AS Laser" which is actually made by Yu Kurosaki. The tip was significantly thicker but could easily be worked.

Not being a fan of yo handles, I gifted that knife to the head chef of the cafeteria in my office building who had just come out of Johnson and Wales. A good kid. I wanted him to review it from a high production perspective but he prized it too much to keep it at work.

This is what a Syogeki looks like. No idea if it is the same as the Kohetsu, never handled one.

Thinner behind the edge than the best Hiromotos I've seen, more consistent grinding, better F&F, but above all finer grained and offering a much better edge retention. More expensive as well.

This is what a Syogeki looks like. No idea if it is the same as the Kohetsu, never handled one.

Thinner behind the edge than the best Hiromotos I've seen, more consistent grinding, better F&F, but above all finer grained and offering a much better edge retention. More expensive as well.

Where is all the weight hiding? Is it in the handle? Because on the JCK website the 240 is listed as 2.2mm thick but weighing 258gr. That's 15gr more than my 270 shig and the same as beefy 240 with a big ebony handle. That can't be right, can it?

Where is all the weight hiding? Is it in the handle? Because on the JCK website the 240 is listed as 2.2mm thick but weighing 258gr. That's 15gr more than my 270 shig and the same as beefy 240 with a big ebony handle. That can't be right, can it?

Recently I've been playing with a western handled Yoshihiro HSS 240mm that's also like a low 2. something mm quoted for the spine, but ~253g. Only like 15 or fewer grams less than my Misono Dragon 270mm which is not a particularly light knife. The grind is a bit sturdy but tapers acceptably towards the very edge (carrot cutting was better than expected). It does however have a denser feel to it that is only helped by that solid yo-handle

I dunno...maybe sometimes these knives are secret fatties

Wondering about it as well. The one I have is a 210 with 182g.

Back