Kohetsu Blue #2 Opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miley

Reaction score
I am probably going to get this knife. It looks like it would be a good work knife. Does anyone have any opinions on this knife? It's 100 dollars. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Never tried one, bit I'd suggest you save a small bit more cash and buy a Tanaka in blue 2 from metalmaster.

Owned one for quite a while, very thin blade in the 210mm size that cuts extremely well. For $100 it's still the best cutting knife I've used in that price range and cut better than a lot of stuff quite a bit more expensive. The stainless cladding is a nice touch as well because it makes maintenance very easy. Fit and finish is average at best but at least the choil and spine weren't aggressively sharp like the one's on my Tanaka.

I have sharpened & used both the Kohetsu AS 240mm 5.6oz & the Hap40 240mm 8.4oz. Like the AS it is lighter nice knife for the price. The semi stainless core of the Hap40 is great steel.

Have noticed the cheap stainless clad Blue #2. The complaint is a large boxy bolster less handle. To me not a problem, you can recess the front edges, reshape the handle to your liking with some sandpaper. The Micarta material used in the handle holds up really well in a production kitchen that's why it is used so much in kitchen knives. It is 7.4oz for the 240mm same price as the 210mm 99.95 looks like a good deal to me.

I did roughly that exact thing to my handle Keithsaltydog. I sanded the handle edges a bit and eased the "bolster" and blade junction which did wonders to improve its overall comfort. Taking into account it's a $100 blade and that was all the work I did to it aside from rounding the spine and choil (personal preference again) I think it's a very good buy overall and a solid performer. Can't attest to the 240mm one and if it is still quite thin like the 210mm one but if it is than it would be a great performer and great buy overall.

I've used these with my chefs in a high volume restaurant for the last 8 months or so. They're really tough, and stay sharp for a long time. They can be thinned and take a very steep edge. My one complaint is that the handle is way too boxy and uncomfortable for long term use. I ended up giving mine away even after contouring the handle, I just wasn't feeling it. 10/10 would recommend to a cook on a budget though.

I am always on the hunt for quality inexpensive knives for students. Have sold quite a few after trying them myself. It is rare tho some do order more high end blades costing hundreds of dollars.

A lot of the attitude here about this vendor is justified. I realize that much of Dave's product line has been copied even their own version of a Spa Hiromoto. It would not be the first time someone with less knowledge will copy the work of a skilled craftsman. Much of his original own product line had serious quality issues.

So far I have been impressed with the Kohetsu line esp. the Kohetsu AS. All these knives are made in Japan. I just picked up the 99.95 blue#2 240mm. I have rather large hands so the handle is not as much an issue for me. The front edge of the micarta scales are rather sharp need some shaping. Deff. going to drop the heel of the straight back handle.

Was impressed with the OOTB sharpness. It has a very polished edge. The lamination line is wavy so it should be attractive when patina. It is not a laser, however good edge profile. 50mm high at the heel. Very nice blade for 100 bucks, handle needs some work:)

Back