Konosuke Series 7

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think it is this which is irking the OP. Konosuke have very specifically placed distance between themselves and what is a diffusion line.

It's like Chateau Margaux announcing the release of Pavillon Rouge and then a retailer listing it as Margaux and you buy it because you thought it was keenly priced Margaux. It's not kosher, it's more than padding, it's misrepresentation. It could be a belter of a knife, but that's not the point.

I think kono's are terrible, I'd be more inclined to try if under kaneshige brand.

Over priced, yes terrible no. I consider konosuke the equivilant of lacoste branded golf shirts. They are nicely made but you could do better for the $. But you buy them anyway because you want to be cool. Saying this Ive never owned a konosuke, only their high end models interest me, black damascus yanagi and their cresent moon yanagi both are god tier knives for me.

Well... hopefully this law thing works out. I will line my rack with Katos, Shigs, and Carters.

They aren't even particularly over priced since they dropped the ebony handles. People like to take contrary stances on popular things. Particularly if they don't like what or who those things are associated with. They may not be to your liking but they are quality knives.

But they really aren't konosuke knives. They are kaneshige knives konosukes parent company if you want to call it that.

Man I've been patiently waiting for the kaneshige line at tosho to come back in stock https://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/kaneshige-240mm-blue2-kurouchi-wa-gyuto
If the number 7 series are infact made by kaneshige they still look a helluva lot different from what tosho carries. Photos can be deceiving however-but that Gyuto at tosho has my dream profile! The tosho line seems to have a thicker blade and taller at the heel. Unless ofcourse there's a tremendous variance in specs between each individual knife in this series. Looks like a solid buy to me, although I'm not sure I dig the handles. But they might feel great in hand.

Man I've been patiently waiting for the kaneshige line at tosho to come back in stock https://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/kaneshige-240mm-blue2-kurouchi-wa-gyuto
If the number 7 series are infact made by kaneshige they still look a helluva lot different from what tosho carries. Photos can be deceiving however-but that Gyuto at tosho has my dream profile! The tosho line seems to have a thicker blade and taller at the heel. Unless ofcourse there's a tremendous variance in specs between each individual knife in this series. Looks like a solid buy to me, although I'm not sure I dig the handles. But they might feel great in hand.

Yea. The handle is a bit weird looking. But walnut is an expensive wood. And I like that it isn't the same light colored wood that comes on most of them.

I think it is this which is irking the OP. Konosuke have very specifically placed distance between themselves and what is a diffusion line.

It's like Chateau Margaux announcing the release of Pavillon Rouge and then a retailer listing it as Margaux and you buy it because you thought it was keenly priced Margaux. It's not kosher, it's more than padding, it's misrepresentation. It could be a belter of a knife, but that's not the point.

The retailer has been offering regular updates:

" I also need to ask Kosuke for any changes after he sees the pages. It wasn't 100% clear to me what exactly he intended when I spoke to him in person about these. Once he writes me I'll fix whatever he wants."

"Kosuke is thinking about changing the name and using another brand name for these knives. I'll let you know what he comes up with."

The retailer has been offering regular updates:

" I also need to ask Kosuke for any changes after he sees the pages. It wasn't 100% clear to me what exactly he intended when I spoke to him in person about these. Once he writes me I'll fix whatever he wants."

"Kosuke is thinking about changing the name and using another brand name for these knives. I'll let you know what he comes up with."

can you say backpedaling?

...after the fact of selling a bunch of "Konosukes" :bat:

Well, the knife came today. This noob has a question. Do I use acetate on the blade to remove the coating like on other knives? Or does that damage the korouchi?

Well, the knife came today. This noob has a question. Do I use acetate on the blade to remove the coating like on other knives? Or does that damage the korouchi?

acetone should not damage the kurouchi finish... are you sure the blade has a protective coating? It very well may, but its worth considering before you wipe it all down with acetone.

Oddly enough I think the best thing about it is the handle. Cut up a tomato and the edge needs work. Wish it were thinner behind the edge too. We will see how the blue steel does on the stones.

P.s. don't judge my shuns. I keep them around so my gf doesn't use my other ones. Except the shun kaji. That is kind of a nice little knife.

can you say backpedaling? ...after the fact of selling a bunch of "Konosukes" :bat:

The retailer made it known a name change might be in order before he listed the knives for sale.

Is it too much trouble for people to stick to knife talk? I don't know or care about a retailer's practices unless I actually shop there. Just give me, the prospective buyer, the specs and price. I'll decide.

Lapointeus, for what it's worth, my Kono Fuji Blue #2 had the dullest OOB edge of any of my more than two dozen knives, Japanese or European. Man, did it sharpen up easily and take a wicked edge, though.

On the other hand, my Kono GS and Kono HD2 came super sharp. I find Kono edges to be hit or miss OOB.

The retailer made it known a name change might be in order before he listed the knives for sale.

Is it too much trouble for people to stick to knife talk? I don't know or care about a retailer's practices unless I actually shop there. Just give me, the prospective buyer, the specs and price. I'll decide.

Lapointeus, for what it's worth, my Kono fuji Blue #2 had the dullest OOB edge of any of my more than two dozen knives, Japanese or European. Man, did it sharpen up easily and take a wicked edge.

On the other hand, my Kono GS and Kono HD2 came super sharp. I find Kono to be hit or miss OOB.

Yea. I figured. I'm actually not disappointed. The nice has a nice little feel to it. I think some time on the stones and it will cut very nicely. I'm not very good at thinning and I'd rather be working on a knife at this cost to learn anyways.

Nice cutting board. The walnut handle seems to have some good grain patterns. I may be testing this knife out in the near future. Be interesting to see how it stacks up to higher end Kono knives.

Nice cutting board. The walnut handle seems to have some good grain patterns. I may be testing this knife out in the near future. Be interesting to see how it stacks up to higher end Kono knives.

Got that cutting board on an Amazon special for a hundred bucks. Thanks.

How do you like the Kono GS? The 210mm's have been available for quite awhile. I wasn't sure about the profile on the 210 though. I like the profile of the other konos better. Probably because my first knife was a Misono 240. That spear tip type thing suits me.

Really like that handle! Sounds like a good project knife.

Back