Korean stone bowl (dolsot) recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not really well versed in Korean stone pots, but the one you referenced is stoneware, not stone. It’s a ceramic pot that’s pretty durable but not quite the same as real stone. I’d look in an hmart or ask a Korean restaurant, this guy is expensive and out of stock but I think it’s the real deal

https://ancientcookware.com/world-traveler/korean-stone-pot-with-lid-detail

Edit

These look like stone and waaay cheaper

https://www.ekitchenary.com/products/korean-stone-bowl-with-rim-dolsot?variant=14147610950

Last edited:
I’ll have to stop by h mart when I go back to Chicago but we are in northern Wisconsin…soooooooooooooo yea.

Thanks for the recommendation… I guess that makes me think that ceramic is fine since it is for egg vs. the stone bowl is for Bibimbop to get that nice crispy bottom. I’m not sure you can use the stone for egg (at least I’ve never seen it)

I’ll have to stop by h mart when I go back to Chicago but we are in northern Wisconsin…soooooooooooooo yea.

Thanks for the recommendation… I guess that makes me think that ceramic is fine since it is for egg vs. the stone bowl is for Bibimbop to get that nice crispy bottom. I’m not sure you can use the stone for egg (at least I’ve never seen it)
Yes -- you mentioned wanting to make gyeranjiim. I've only seen the black ceramic bowls used for this.

My contribution to this thread.

Korean stone pots are really heavy and are intended to keep the heat very constant. Used for rice cooking and the dolsot bimbap. Dolsot means stone pot. Some large k markets in the US (LA, NYC, Atlanta) carry this item. Aliexpress also sells it but shipping may be costly.

Ceramic pots are used for stews (soy bean and chilli pastes) including egg stews (gyeranjjim). The food does not stick into the pot. Also found in k marts. We call it tupbaegui.

Have fun

Back