Kurosaki AS vs RS Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Jacobs

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with both? Did you like one over the other? Is one easier to sharpen or hold an edge longer? I know one's carbon is one stainless I'm just trying to get an idea for how the two feel before I choose one.

Very thin grinds on the SS models. Paper thin behind the edge. I like mine (210mm Raijin & the R2 165mm bunka) but wouldn't think of having at a squash, or even lemon grass with them.

The AS models are supposed to be a little more stout.

His R2 knives are thinner and more laserish, both are excellent performers. His AS knives are more stout feeling. The Hammered R2 is one of my favorites for cabbage. The R2 will take a better edge and hold it longer. Some think R2 is harder to sharpen than AS but I'd call it a draw.

Thank you for the responses. Are the R2 more prone to chipping if they are so thin? I was leaning that way but of they are to delicate I may go AS.

I've never had chipping problems with my Kurosaki R2 and it gets used a lot on everything, just don't be careless. They feel more delicate than they actually are.

When I say harder, I don't mean it's ridiculous. It's just enough to notice it takes a bit longer, but not much longer. You can't go wrong either way.

Back