Kurosaki R2 Shizuku versus Hammered R2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am relatively new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into the differences between Yu Kurosaki R2 Shizuku versus Kurosaki Hammered R2. Specifically, I am looking at the 150 mm petty versions. Are the differences just aesthetics of the hammering/handle, or are there more meaningful differences in blade dimensions, performance, etc.

Thanks for your help!

I was trying to figure that out when buying a Kurosaki 180mm nakiri in R2. I found very little info on it, but maybe someone here will have more experience. I ended up choosing the hammered version, just based on aesthetics (blade + handle wood colors). As far as I know, the steel, profile and grind in both versions is basically the same. It's just a difference in surface finish -- hammer vs. chiseled relief.

It there is a slight difference in food release with those two finishes (and I'm skeptical), it would be even smaller with a blade as small as a petty knife. Food release usually isn't an issue there. Go for the looks you prefer.

I have the hammered version, and when I made my research I was told they’re identical! People who have tested both say the food release is a little better on the hammered version and that the friction is less noticeable when cutting, but the difference is not huge. As previously stated, go with the aesthetics you prefer.

Thanks, everyone. This is a post I made last month but was apparently held in limbo until I just posted in the New Member forum. In any case, I went with the hammered and its a nice knife. Also, glad to see confirmation here that they are more or less the same but that this one may be a little preferred.

Back