LASERHORSE

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cksnffr

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Yoshikane SKD gyuto on a whim. Some "laser" knives were on my radar, but the Yoshi really clicked with me even though (and maybe because) it's probably about 4 mm at the spine right above the heel.

As it turns out, the Yoshi drops through food like it's not even there--in part because it's thin behind the edge and in part because it tapers from that 4 mm very quickly. I'm sure it also helps that the sharpening job from the factory was excellent.

It's so thin behind the edge that I'd feel the need to treat it with kid gloves if it weren't SKD steel. I'm not going to abuse it, but just the same I'm glad this is one of my few non-"carbon" knives.

What are some other standout "laserhorse" knives that fly through product in spite of their thickness?

My HSC3 does a mean job in the tasks you're describing! 240x56 @ 190gr. Super thin behind the edge, but just doesn't feel fragile at all. Definite laserhorse!

Attachments

• 20200325_142408.jpg
    20200325_142408.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 42
Damn, Now I need another Yoshi.

I don't have customs like some folks here, but I do have many of the usual suspects (Anryu, Kato, Jikko, Masakage, etc), and the Yoshi smokes most of them.

My kiritsuke is almost 5mm at the heel and I never reach for anything else at work or at home. It's starting to be an issue.
20200325_215320.jpg

I recently picked up a Yoshikane SKD gyuto on a whim. Some "laser" knives were on my radar, but the Yoshi really clicked with me even though (and maybe because) it's probably about 4 mm at the spine right above the heel.

As it turns out, the Yoshi drops through food like it's not even there--in part because it's thin behind the edge and in part because it tapers from that 4 mm very quickly. I'm sure it also helps that the sharpening job from the factory was excellent.

It's so thin behind the edge that I'd feel the need to treat it with kid gloves if it weren't SKD steel. I'm not going to abuse it, but just the same I'm glad this is one of my few non-"carbon" knives.

What are some other standout "laserhorse" knives that fly through product in spite of their thickness?

where did you grab your skd from?

Last edited:
I had to get rid of my Yoshi, too sharp for the money. Really gets in the way of justifying more expensive knives, lol.

This new line looks exactly like my.old stainless clad white2 Yoshi but with new finish. I got rid of it because it was too lasery for me.

That being said, if I were to ever keep a laser it would be kippington laser grind.

Tell me why! I’m on his list for one.

For starters it's much more comfortable to use than a regular laser because it's much thicker at the spine. but the real reason is that the grind is unique because it actually has good food release.

Reactions: ian
Back