Least favorite cooking/kitchen job

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washing up. Anything that fits in the dishwasher goes there.
This. It's always the cleanup that bothers me the most.
After that... non-knife stuff like zesting lemons and grating cheese... Those are 'girlfriend-jobs' for me. :D

What kind of garlic does this work best with, do you think? Fresh/old? I try it from time to time, but it never works as perfectly as it does in videos. Usually helps some, and then I have to peel the rest of them. Then again, I hardly ever do enough cloves at a time to warrant it.

Did this a couple of times with a whole head of garlic and it was truly amazing, all except the tiny cloves that I usually toss anyway were perfect. Last week I peeled a whole head and used half of the peeled cloves in a stir fry thing, and put the unused naked cloves in a baggy in the fridge and used them the next day and they were still perfect. I will definitely do this method whenever I need a bunch of garlic especially if I intend to slice rather than dice or smash.

Cleaning the ovens has always been my least favorite kitchen job. At my first kitchen I did it a couple of times and it took awhile since it was hardly ever done. It was so much scrubbing, so any chemicals, so dirty.

A close #2 is peeling garlic since I stopped smashing it with a knife ever since I snapped a petty in half doing it. Now I just use my palm to smash it and then peel it with my fingers, but then my hands smell like garlic for the next three days :3

Have you tried using a small pan?

When I'm doing a lot of garlic I use a small Turk skillet as a mallet to smash it, a small copper pan works well too.

Back