Small plate Lentejas (Lentils)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This recipe comes from my Venezuelan MIL. It was the first thing she made for me when I met her. Her recipe was not very specific, more of a guideline. I modified it slightly to be a little easier to understand, and added in the measurements that I use when I make her recipe.

Ingredients
  • Preparing the Lentils:
    • Two Cups Green Lentils (Cleaned)
    • Enough water to cover the lentils
  • Cooking the Lentils:
    • 3 strips of bacon, cut into lardons
    • 1 large onion, finely diced
    • 2 tsp garlic, finely minced
    • 2 red bell peppers, finely diced
    • 1 medium carrot, finely diced
    • 1 tsp cumin powder
    • 6 cups chicken stock
    • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    • salt to taste
Directions
  1. Preparing the Lentils
    1. First, start by sifting through the lentils to remove any debris that might be left. This is less necessary in American supermarkets but still check. I have found stones in amongst my lentils before.
    2. Rinse the lentils under cold water, and then cover and let soak for 30 minutes.
    3. Drain lentils.
  2. Cooking the lentils
    1. In a small stockpot or a large saucepan, place bacon lardons in a cold pan and then turn the flame on medium-low heat. Render out fat and crisp up the bacon.
    2. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
    3. In the same pot add in the large onion. Sweat for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent.
    4. Add in carrot and bell pepper, and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
    5. Add in garlic and fry for an additional minute, or until fragrant.
    6. Add in cumin powder, being careful to toast but not burn.
    7. Add in chicken stock and drained/soaked lentils.
    8. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat until at a simmer.
    9. Simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the lentils, about 45 minutes.
    10. Add in cilantro, then salt to taste.
    11. ENJOY!
This dish is typically served as one course in a 3-4 course meal. I was not specific this time with metric units because it is not my recipe. If you want the metric version, let me know! Sorry if anything is wonky, I was translating from Spanish to English as best I could.

1599063632126.png

They are classified as legumes, so are typically eaten whole. With that being said, if you want to split them in half, go right ahead. Sometimes if my MIL wanted more of a soup texture she would blitz the lentils in a blender at the end to make a smooth soup.

Back