Like a naughty schoolboy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dans B Grind …

First a pic …

5ABE2272-7648-4A2C-BEEF-0AB54C35BFCF.jpeg

Than some slicy slicy action …

And some fries …

Now let’s have a look at how our contestants performed with a sweet potato.

This time I applied the knives to half a large sweet potato.

First up the Martens …

Followed by the Newham …

New sweet potato … first up the Kamon Hook Grind …

and last up … Dan’s B Grind …

And that’s it … onward to the analysis! Have you picked winners yet?

Last edited:
I have to say that there are no losers in this contest. All four knives were sterling performers and will satisfy the most demanding users. They are definitely the best of the best in dealing with potatoes. Each of the knives exhibited some degree of stiction … probably the result of my technique. In all cases the “sticking” cleared itself quickly without the need for a “dreaded” finger flip. What surprised me a bit was the difference in force required to make the cut. The Martens and Newham clearly required more force to make the cut in both the case of the russet potatoes and sweet potatoes. The Kamon Hook Grind and B Grind Bidinger were clearly superior to the other two in this regard. They literally “fell through” the potatoes. The Martens required the most force to make the cut following the Newham. Interestingly the Newham seemed to lock third place in the combat, despite the fact that it was the only knife of the four that didn’t feature a special “low stiction” grind. I think that is partially due to how Will Newham finished the blade. His method left a texture to the blade which may also be a feature of this Damasteel … Fafnir, I believe.

One feature that definitely played a part in the ultimate rankings was the blade length. Being a nakiri/cleaver I found the Martens to be slightly too short for the large russet and sweet potatoes I was using. I chose the shorter if the potatoes I had to accommodate this shortfall. I admit to using the largest potatoes I could find for the slap down. Normal material wouldn’t present a problem. The other three knives were 240mm gyutos and had no problem handling the material.

Where I had problems differentiating the knives was with the top two performers … the Kamon Hook Grind and Dan Bidinger’s B Grind. They were both amazing performers and I honestly think that different people could come to different rankings on the two depending on the day. For me … in this test, the Kamon very slightly exhibited less stiction. The Bidinger required slightly less force to make the cut. Both knives were equally and amazingly pleasing in hand. They cut almost without me having to think about them. They just fell through the material including the more substantial sweet potato.

For me … on this day I give the slight edge to Dan Bidinger’s B Grind. I declare the B Grind the all out slap down champion.

So here it is … From first and best to fourth and almost best.

1. Dan Bidinger’s B Grind Gyuto.

2. Ben Kamon’s Hook Grind Gyuto.

3. Will Newham’s Heirloom Series Damasteel Gyuto.

4. Oliver Martens Milled Grind Nakiri/Cleaver.

Cheers all!

I think for the sweet potatoes the B-grind and Newham videos are mixed up, but thank you! very entertaining and something I was looking forward to

I think for the sweet potatoes the B-grind and Newham videos are mixed up, but thank you! very entertaining and something I was looking forward to

You are correct … I did mix them up.

The error is corrected now and it’s worth going back and watching how Dan’s B Grind simply demolishes the big sweet potato. Not a trace of sticking or wedging. In hand the blade simply fell through the material. I suspect it’s due to the application of some Sequim Secret Sauce. Yum!

Hmmmmm …

On the heels of the colossally successful “Great Potato Slapdown” I’m thinking the Naughty Schoolboy thread needs and even greater (if that’s even possible) event …

THE BATTLE OF THE TITANS ….

I got to thinking that it’s time the big guns of the knife world showed their METAL! So … what’s it going to be big boys? Which of you are maker enough to stand against the current king of potato wackery … the indomitable Budinger B Grind?

I’m talking Maumasi! I’m talking Billipps! I’m talking Rader! I’m talking Burke! I’m talking Carter! I’m talking Lisch!

Maumasi
Billipps
Rader
Burke
Carter
Lisch

The very thought of such a gathering in one place … winner take all … brings a tremble to my pinch grip. After all … a few more dinners and the potato products of my Slapdown extravaganza will be consumed. Time to re-supply my larder with potato slices.

An event like this takes planning. Got to dig into the details. First up … are there any Titans that should be added to the event? Next … the event itself. Should it be a Slapdown format? Everybody up at once? Winner take all? Or should it be Faceoff Style. One by one Bidinger B Grind against randomly selected Titans in a Duel Style Faceoff? The winner emerging starch covered and battered from a series of one one one gladiatorial style Duels? Should it be a “Double Knockout Event where the loser of a first round duel drops to a “B“ round to face … get ready for this … Ben Kamon’s Hook Grind culinary masterpiece? After all there was barely a potato skins difference to determine the winner between Kamon and Bidinger in the Great Potato Slapdown event. Imagine if our two kings of potato wackery emerged to face each other AGAIN after dispatching the aforementioned Titans in the preliminary rounds.

All I can say is that you better get yourselves on the custom knife wait lists. The winners of this Titanic Event will certainly see custom wait times extend to decades from years.

Clearly I have some thinking to do. An event of this proportion can’t simply be thrown together Sunday buffet style.

Thoughts and contributions most welcome.

This was a very interesting thread! I love how some agree while others disagree... And I have to say that, what one considers "great" is very much based on one's perspective/experience and how they use the knife.

:::Beats on chest like king kong:::
As a professionally trained chef (culinary school) it's interesting to see people use knives in a way that goes against everything I was taught, and (generally) practiced over a 30 year career.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying there is anything wrong - to each his/her own - and do what works best for you! I would never condemn someone for doing what works for them!

That said, the violation of one of the most pushed rules in culinary school - the tip of the blade should be on the board at all times - is fun to see variations of. Obviously it can't stay in the board 100%, but knife safety dictates that it stay there as much as possible. And yes, I have made millions of cuts, fast chops that violate that rule... Mushrooms, zucchini/squash, large/tall pieces of whatever. I certainly violated that rule many many times! And I cut the tip of my thumb off once while half-mooning a zucchini, proving this rule to myself.

Some of you will disagree and hate me, but I have to say: most of the knives used in those potatoes tests didn't perform any/much better than my $75 10" Forschner. Some were surprisingly non-sticky, which is what I'm trying to decipher... But I wouldn't necessarily say they are $1000 worth of non-stickiness. Perhaps if I was cutting 50# of fries by hand each day - but I always used a French fry cutter mounted on the wall, so they drop into a 5 gallon bucket.

But alas, I have yet to wield one of these beauties, so I may have to remove my foot from my mouth in the future!

As a home cook these days, it's looking like I'll focus more on edge retention than stiction. Though I can certainly see the benefit in a commercial setting.

I always reverted to the pull cut when I was worried about sticking and/or used a shorter knife so I could reach over with a finger to hold the cut piece in place.

This is soooo much fun though.. learning about these knives and seeing how people use them.

Please don't take me too seriously.. I don't!

I am, after all, The Broken Chef...

This was a very interesting thread! I love how some agree while others disagree... And I have to say that, what one considers "great" is very much based on one's perspective/experience and how they use the knife.

:::Beats on chest like king kong:::
As a professionally trained chef (culinary school) it's interesting to see people use knives in a way that goes against everything I was taught, and (generally) practiced over a 30 year career.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying there is anything wrong - to each his/her own - and do what works best for you! I would never condemn someone for doing what works for them!

That said, the violation of one of the most pushed rules in culinary school - the tip of the blade should be on the board at all times - is fun to see variations of. Obviously it can't stay in the board 100%, but knife safety dictates that it stay there as much as possible. And yes, I have made millions of cuts, fast chops that violate that rule... Mushrooms, zucchini/squash, large/tall pieces of whatever. I certainly violated that rule many many times! And I cut the tip of my thumb off once while half-mooning a zucchini, proving this rule to myself.

Some of you will disagree and hate me, but I have to say: most of the knives used in those potatoes tests didn't perform any/much better than my $75 10" Forschner. Some were surprisingly non-sticky, which is what I'm trying to decipher... But I wouldn't necessarily say they are $1000 worth of non-stickiness. Perhaps if I was cutting 50# of fries by hand each day - but I always used a French fry cutter mounted on the wall, so they drop into a 5 gallon bucket.

But alas, I have yet to wield one of these beauties, so I may have to remove my foot from my mouth in the future!

As a home cook these days, it's looking like I'll focus more on edge retention than stiction. Though I can certainly see the benefit in a commercial setting.

I always reverted to the pull cut when I was worried about sticking and/or used a shorter knife so I could reach over with a finger to hold the cut piece in place.

This is soooo much fun though.. learning about these knives and seeing how people use them.

Please don't take me too seriously.. I don't!

I am, after all, The Broken Chef...
For what it's worth...as I probably explained a few pages back, while some people here care dearly for the subject of food release, this fascination is not necessarily shared universally. Personally I lost all interest in the subject after discovering the glory of drawcuts. Which probably goes against 'culinary education ' but is really an incredibly efficient way to do it. My best potato knife (at least for doing dice / cubes) is a 210 petty that I mostly do drawcuts with.
But I remember to tuck in my thumb while doing it... ;)

I agree that if you're doing volume prep of a specific item a lot sometimes there's a better tool than a knife. If I wanted lots of potato slices I wouldn't be looking for a better potato knife. I'd be looking for a mandolin or a food processor.

most of the knives used in those potatoes tests didn't perform any/much better than my $75 10" Forschner
I think we have a new contestant! Billipps vs Forschner sounds like a hoot! Lets get that Forschner in the mail to @Brian Weekley, I’ll even offer to cover shipping. Sounds like great fun for the new year!

Last edited:
Back