Long term knife storage tips for carbon steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CulinaryCellist

Reaction score
I've joined the Navy and leave next week for basic training. I will be away for at least 2-4 years as I have no idea when I will get leave.. I was wondering what I should do for storing my knives until I will be able to use them again. Maybe be if I get stationed stateside I can have them shipped to me, but until then I want to make sure they are taken care of :)

For the ultimate in protection, cosmoline! Just kidding for your kitchen knives, there's no way that crap is food safe. But if you needed to preserve carbon steel, say, 20-40 years, that's your stuff. Michi is on the money, and adding a desiccant to the container with your oiled knives will give you an additional level of protection as well.

Yeah iirc someone had put oiled blades in something airtight but condensation or some such still did some work.

And given my experience I believe it will work just fine that long when stored in containers or I wouldn't have recommended it.

Renaissance wax? Otherwise, camellia oil and wrap it with plastic wrap and place the knife in its box. VCI paper would work as well, but as others have said, it expires.

Back