Looking for a high quality bread knife with a straight edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know, thanks. Yeah, as I recall it's chromoly or something not as hard as VG10.

It's hard enough for the purpose, which is all I ask of knives, these days.

Used the MAC bread knife this morning. Purposely pushed it down harder than normal and pulled it farther across the board more than I normally would. Not super hard, but harder than I would typically use. No mark on the board. I think the lowest part of the curve on each scallop (the part touching the board) is hardly sharp. The cutting edge is on the part between each scallop, and would only contact the bread/product, not the board.

I have a MAC but sometimes miss the Gude when we have real crusty (and wide) bread. The Gude's role in life is crusty bread but yeah it does dig up wood boards pretty bad. The MAC SB-105 works well for everything else - plus - it's easy to re-sharpen on stones/strops making it a better all around choice.

Thanks for the observations! I'm tempted to get the Mac and just try it out. If I don't like it, I can always return it.

But I'm still intrigued by the prospect of having a knife with a straight edge. Does ANYONE have experience with the Masahiro or Katsura mentioned in my OP? (Knives #3 and 4.)

But I'm still intrigued by the prospect of having a knife with a straight edge. Does ANYONE have experience with the Masahiro or Katsura mentioned in my OP? (Knives #3 and 4.)

chirp, chirp. nothing but the sound of crickets :spin chair:

That's because you don't want to listen to what we've already said. You won't be disappointed with the Mac or the Tojiro I suggested 31 posts ago. I've been using the one in the video for over 5 years now with no issues, I haven't even had to sharpen it yet. So there's that. But it's your money so just buy what you want. If you're so inclined you could buy one we haven't used yet and educate us on it's merits. What about this straight one from JKI? http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/new-items-list/gesshin-250mm-bread-knife.html I haven't heard anything about that one yet.

I am indeed listening. For example, I'm much more interested in a scalloped edge now, thanks to the helpful posts here above. (The knife you mentioned is not a scalloped edge, nor does it fit another criterion I mentioned in the OP.) I've also said that I'm very tempted by the Mac. But I'm still interested in a straight edge too. Just because lots of people are saying similar things doesn't mean that's the reality of a situation. There's such a thing as 'groupthink'. For example, I once started a thread about building my cutting board from cheap lumber. Everyone said it wouldn't work, the board would warp, etc. Three years later, the board is still flat and doing service--for the cost of $6 and the labor of making it. See my signature here below. One should always think for oneself--but listen to those who use logic and examples, like PT here above.

So, I'd rather not let my thread get sidetracked and please let me continue my inquiry where I want it to go. I'd just like to give it another day to see. To repeat,

I'm still intrigued by the prospect of having a knife with a straight edge. Does ANYONE have experience with the Masahiro or Katsura mentioned in my OP? :scratchhead:

I'm pretty sure the Tojiro is a scalloped edge...and if Rick has used that knife for five years I would suggest that you will never be able to dull it unless you do it on purpose. The only problem I see is that the fit and finish can be horribly done--I sent mine back to the seller.
I do understand your point about group think (on the curved edge), but I trust that most people here who are interested in bread knives have tried both types--I know I have both types (though rarely use a bread knife at all). Group consensus may be a better term in this situation as most posters here have tried enough to give more than valid feedback. If you are set on a flat blade then certainly give it a go, but realize that people here are not recommending a curved blade because others have told them it is better, it is due to personal experience.
I know that I rarely pull out a bread knife, but of the three I have, the only one that ever makes it out at all is a curved Forschner and I've at least tried all but a few of the knives mentioned in this thread. For quality pourposes I don't think you could do better than a Mac, but as someone posted, Jon offers one that costs $45 and has a flat edge. It would give you a chance to try a flat blade for not too much money and make your own determination. Actually, for less than the cost of an inexpensive gyuto, I would suggest buying both and doing a review. You could share your ideas with everyone here and sell whichever one you don't like.
I would also offer that if no one here has tried either of the knives in your OP that maybe that should tell you something in and of itself.
Cheers

I am indeed listening but only to what I want to hear.

Fixed that first bit for you. Sorry about the rest of it - all I heard was Charlie Brown's teacher.

So, I'd rather not let my thread get sidetracked and please let me continue my inquiry where I want it to go.

Are you nuts? Sidetracked? You've got 39 posts, relatively on topic, and are setting some kind of record here. Take what makes sense to you and discard the rest. You may want to contact the specific vendors if you want specific info on a specific knife. (Thats what they do) And the crap about chirping? At the end of the day it's a bread knife. How wrong can any choice be?

Edit: Chinacats went with tact. I tried to blend tact with clarity. Jacob - we need you, the old you.

I was only going to add, if you seek this much advice or research shall we say on a hundred dollar knife, how do you ever buy a car?

I'm sorry to see this thread threatening to deteriorate into ad hominem attacks. Such is life on the Internet... My thanks to those who PM'ed me their sympathies -- a nice consolation.

Back on topic, I've found a solution! I'm going to get TWO knives--one curved, the other straight, and return the one I don't like. It's going to be the MAC, for the curved one, and either the Kasumi or Masahiro--or a Shun Edo someone offered to sell me--for the other.

Thanks to all those who (politely) tried to help out. Great stuff! :doublethumbsup: I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

P.S. There are some great deals to be had on ebay. I saw a new Shun Sora 9" bread knife go for $66 including shipping (link here), usually priced at $100. (I had lost interest in the knife, by that point, so I didn't bid.)

Just head to Big Lots and get a Rachael Ray Furi 8" Gusto Grip for like twenty bucks. There, I did all your homework for you

Curiosity about your obstinateness is ad hominem ​attacks?

dont know if im too late to this party but mac makes a straight design. its the BS-90
http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/products-by-series/chef-series/49-bs-90-chef-series-9q-breadroast-slicer.html
maybe not long enough or straight enough.
i like the long cake ones for some things like this one.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/lamsonsharp/cake-knife-p130097?gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHXL1dysLwW8qyjidnIEjojfRWhs19kt1Xl6Ayubo4dHhoCol_w_wcB

Yeah, as for the Mac, 8 3/4" is not quite long enough, and it's slightly curved. And I've already got my solution, pretty much. But thanks for posting! Interesting that Mac has a different style knife available. After all this searching, I never came across it.

I'm a little late to the game here, but I have a Shun Kaji bread knife in SG-2, and I seriously wonder how I ever lived without it. Awesome knife, available new on the 'bay for about $125 shipped. Cheaper if you are patient. Got mine for $80.

P.S. The Tojiro is indeed scalloped. I tried.....

Back