Looking for a new guyto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linecooklife

Reaction score
So I am in the process of consolidating and upgrading my knife kit. And as it stands I have more 270 guytos than is necessary or logical so I'm getting rid of all but my gesshin ginga white#2. My thinking being that my secondary guyto slot should be filled by something different from my primary. So effectively I am replacing my trusty aritsogu A frame 270 with this new knife.
What I am looking for: 240mm, high carbon, western handle, this knife should also be able to handle a busy week without babying or maintenance. Meaning that currently the aritsogu gets pulled out when I'm too busy to sharpen the gesshin and need a knife to work hard all week. So basically a work horse to balance the laser.
Budget: 200-350 $
Any advice or suggestions is appropriated
Jesse

Wouldn't the Hiromoto AS fit the bill? Guess it depends what you mean by workhorse. Seems to be a few different definitions floating around . . .

A PM knife will also have crazy good edge retention if you want to try something other than a carbon (I assume by high carbon you mean a carbon). Gesshin kagero 240 for example.

Misono UX10's are pretty sweet. Good workhorse knife. Agree with the Gesshin.

If you want powder metallurgy steel you could consider the Takamura HSPS Pro 240 gyuto, I have one but I use in a home kitchen

EDIT
not a Laser compared to the red handled R2 counterparts, not sure how robust you have in mind web you say workhorse.

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps the word "workhorse" is misleading, really I'm just looking for something less delicate than a laser but still thin behind the edge.

imo, the best western handled knives are PM knives like the ones suggested. or customs, which are not in your budget. if you want wa knives, then there might be other stuff. itinomonn maybe? they have westerns sometimes.

Watanabe...hits everything but the western handle...have you tried a wa? I find them much more comfortable than westerns but that is obviously a personal decision.

Back