Looking for generic wa habdle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charon

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to search for wa handles on rakuten?

You could also consider a BST post. I'm sure people don't just throw out their old ones if they get rehandled (presuming that they were able to come off in one piece).

I think I have few generic handles with plastic ferrules. Ping me if plastic ferrules are ok for you.

Hey I'm actually looking for something like a ho wood maybe yew wood buffalo ferrule. Epic edge has nice handles no doubt but they are a bit expensive.

I know you can pay to upgrade a Mizuno at JCK, but I imagine there would be a base price factored into the knife purchase itself.

If you want some D-shaped hō wood handles I have an extra from a 240 gyuto and may have more from a set of Shigs, but can't spare the Shigs until I confirm that I have the budget for rehandles. Also international shipping from Canada may make it impracticable.

Hey guys. Thanks for the great answers. The plan is to get a wakui with a plastic ferrule and try and get a handle with buffalo horn for as little as possible. Akiko Moritaka wrote me they are out of stock for 2 months, I might wait for that.

Hi Osaka Joe, that is what I heard too. At a minimum I'd like a ho wood with buffalo horn for a 240 gyuto. If I could choose the wood maybe yew or rosewood. The shape doesn't really matter at this point :)

Charon, I'm in a similar boat to you. I found a quite good handle maker who can make buffalo horn + different wood options for about $55 for a wa-handle. What was the price range you were looking for?

Hi Mike my price range was close to yours. I'd go lower or just send it to Jon since he offers handles and installation for about 70$

Charon, the guy I'm working with also includes installation in his price. He works out Toronto. If you want more info send me a PM.

Damn, didn't know it was that expensive to get your knife re-handled. Better be some very nice handles

its very different here when compared to Japan... there, handle changes are quick and easy. Here, the level of expectation is very different. The process, though simple, ends up being much more time consuming. Also, more often than not, the knives coming in for rehandle require extensive cleanup of the tang area.

Charon, the guy I'm working with also includes installation in his price. He works out Toronto. If you want more info send me a PM.

Hi

I'm interested in some more info, your pm mailbox is full, do you mind to pm me?

Thanks.

Has anyone tried to just replace the plastic ferrule?

Here I could get a buffalo horn striker for 5 euros.
The handle would come of easy as is burnt it. How would I get the ferrule of?

you can just chisel (to destroy and remove) it. the thing is the effort of putting a proper horn ferrule back on and sand to desirable level is not necessary very cost effective.

Back