• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

looking for JNS Shig and Katos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rather than bumping my old thread here's a new one.

I'm looking to buy a JNS Shigefusa 210 workhorse. I have the 240, and while DH likes it, it is a bit too much knife for me so I would like one of my own in a smaller size. Since the knives are my domain, I might be convinced to trade the 240 for the right offer.

NOW...I have a standard Shigefusa 210 I'm willing to offer in trade or I'll just buy the 210 workhorse outright if the price is decent. The only reason I'm offering this is I got one in a private sale at the exact time I got lottery lucky online. So yea, I have two.

Also looking for a Kato 210 Gyuto and any size(s) Kato Nakiri(s) from JNS.

Cash or offering my Tanaka Ironwood 210 Gyuto for trade plus reasonable cash. Most of the rest of my collection is readily available for the most part so I think this is the only one that is harder to get...

Never heard of a Shigefusa workhorse. Is this some new offering?

I may be using the wrong terminology. It was my understanding the JNS version was a bit heavier and had a different grind and profile. I think there is a chart out there somewhere - let me see if I can find it...

And I may be wrong. For some reason I thought the JNS shigs were made to a different standard than other shigs...

Just pulled them out and compared. The 240 is a lot thicker and heavier than the 210 comparatively speaking. I have 210 and 240 Tanaka's in VG10 and the weight/thickness difference is not as pronounced...

May be just me though.

I may be using the wrong terminology. It was my understanding the JNS version was a bit heavier and had a different grind and profile. I think there is a chart out there somewhere - let me see if I can find it...

Kato is the knife that differs from JNS (workhorse) and standard. JNS Kato workhorse runs long, while the standard runs short. Here is a picture that shows how the two compare. (Both Katos shown are "240mm" versions)

image.jpg

Keep in mind a standard profile 210mm Kato will run closer to 200mm. A 210mm workhorse will be closer to 220mm(ish).

BKultra - thanks! That was the chart I was thinking of. So the JNS shig 210 is esentially the same as a shig from anywhere else? See my prior post, I'm really surprised by the difference between the 210 and 240.

Thanks for helping me out guys!

Please forgive my apparent ignorance, but...Is Shigefusa an individual or a smithing/knife-making outfit? And why is his/they/her/it's work so highly sought after? I mean, besides​ the thinness behind the edge and the universally loved profiles?

BKultra - thanks! That was the chart I was thinking of. So the JNS shig 210 is esentially the same as a shig from anywhere else? See my prior post, I'm really surprised by the difference between the 210 and 240.

Thanks for helping me out guys!

Shigefusa is the same for different vendors, again it's kato that differs.

Please forgive my apparent ignorance, but...Is Shigefusa an individual or a smithing/knife-making outfit? And why is his/they/her/it's work so highly sought after? I mean, besides​ the thinness behind the edge and the universally loved profiles?

Shigefusa is a brand, the knives are made by a Father and his two sons. They are in demand for many reasons... first not many are made. They have a great profile, and excellent grind (S grond), and probably the best F&F around.

Shigefusa is a brand, the knives are made by a Father and his two sons. They are in demand for many reasons... first not many are made. They have a great profile, and excellent grind (S grond), and probably the best F&F around.

Many thanks for this! This brand pops up so often in the "looking for" threads and their work always looks just so well done. Saw pictures of a Shig Deba the other day and the apparence of it just about floored me and I'm not a traditional deba type of person.

Back