Looking for my 1st 210mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrado

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? GYUTO

Are you right or left handed? RIGHT

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Wa

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) CARBON CORE (W#1, B#2, AS), STAINLESS CLADDING

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$400

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? HOME

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
CHOPPPING VEGETABLES, FRUIT ETC

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
SABATIER THIERS HIGH CARBON STEEL

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
PINCH

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
PUSH, CHOPPING

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? YES

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? MORE BLADE HEAVY, LITTLE SMALLER FLAT SPOT

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? SHARPER EDGE, EASIER TO SHARPEN

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? NOT TOO IMPORTANT BUT I PREFER TO ONLY HAVE TO SHARPEN ONCE EVERY MONTH OR 2

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
END GRAIN WALNUT

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
NOT YET BUT WILL BUY STONES

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) YES

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) YES

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'm looking for something thats not a workhorse, not a fan of overly rustic, damascus, overtly hammered and KU finishes but want something that suggests its handmade. Something that performs like a laser but has some heft to push through ingredients.

I've spent the last couple of months thinking about my first Japanese 210mm Gyuto. Spent many hours reading the informative threads here and the other site. I've decided I'm looking for something thats not a workhorse and has a little finesse, Wa handle, slightly blade heavy with the balance point around the pinch grip. I seem to prefer light to middleweight blades. It has to be thin behind the edge with a slight convex grind higher up to aid food release with a thin tip for detail work. I'd be using it in the home so don't need a 'workhorse'. After owning carbon Sabs which patinered horribly I've decided the next knife has to have SS cladding but I don't have any problems with a reactive core.

The knives I've shortlisted are the Anryu B#2, Richmond AS laser, Kurosaki AS and Fujiwara Nashiji W#1. I really want either the Konosuke Fuji or the more expensive Gessin Kagekiyo, but the reactive soft iron cladding takes these out of the running.

I've handled the Richmond AS laser and it felt good in the hand. My example was a little rough along the spine and choil but no more so than other knives in the $200 price range. I did feel the knife, although well presented and probably a great performer, seemed a little utilitarian. The Kurosaki AS looks almost identical and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the Richmond AS laser.

I haven't used any of the other knives on the list and am moving away from the Anryu which is reported as being a workhorse and a little thick towards the tip. Based on some glowing reviews I'm leaning towards the Fujiwara Terayasu Nishiji. If I like it I'd get a custom handle for it. The high HRC isn't a concern since I'm not rough on my knives and it seems to have some of the handmade traits to make it special. I anticipate having to smooth out a few rough edges.

Would love to hear some other options that may not be immediately obvious from the big on-line sources. Do Konosuke make a carbon core (preferably W#1, B#2 or AS) with SS cladding?

Epicurean Edge offers the Yoshikane with stainless clad SKD. I'm not a big fan of the hammered finish but am a fan of the SKD core. And Yoshikane does SKD well. They offer a couple other stainless clad if memory serves but not familiar with them.

Japanes Natural Stones offers the Itinomonn stainless clad V2 Gyuto. Every knife I've used from Itinomonn has been an excellent value that performs like a more expensive knife. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/

James at Knives and Stones has just started offering a stainless clad Gyuto. I don't remember much about it (I am sitting on my hands for awhile).

And Jon at JKI offers the highly sought after Gengetsu - when he has them in stock. My personal favorite stainless clad knife. Might be my favorite period.

All of these retailers are responsive to inquiries and have earned the good reputations they have here. I'm sure I've left out some - it was not intentionally.

FWIW, while the cladding of the Blue #1 Kagekiyo is reactive, it is one of the less reactive non-stainless claddings I've seen and used.

The Fujiwara are known for spotty fit and finish for the price. If you want food release I would skip the Konosuke. I believe the Kochi at JKI when in stock may fit your needs. I will say that if the Sab's reactivity bothered you maybe you should go ahead and get something stainless, the core will require the same care as any other carbon so imo either get used to carbon maintenance or skip it completely (I know others like the stainless clad but I just don't get it:scratchhead:).

Latest posts

Back