Lowbrow question - Guest-friendly stainless beater

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyne

Reaction score
I know we all like to talk about exotic, expensive, hard to find or just plain beautifully crafted knives in here, but I'm interested to hear suggestions for everyday beaters. Looking for something 'low-rent' to compliment my JCK 'Deep Impact' Aogami Super gyuto.
Must be stainless/highly stain resistant, must be pretty straightforward to sharpen (I have a Hapstone guided sharpening system), maintain an edge for a reasonable amount of time but doesn't have to be anything exceptional, something you'd be comfortable handing to family or friends who don't really care what the knife is and how it should be treated.
It will always be hand-washed, will live on a magnetic wall strip and will MOSTLY be used for cutting potatoes, carrots, onions, fruits, possibly some raw protein such as trimming chicken breasts/thighs....At worst, it will be used to cut/carve a roast chicken.
I live in Australia, so some brands you guys have easy access to in the States may not apply here.
I've had a Victorinox 'Fibrox' cooks knife and wasn't a huge fan. I could never get it as sharp as I wanted and it never felt quite right in the hand.
I've got a 15 year old Mundial cooks knife, which is what I'm looking to replace. I can quite easily get it sharp enough, but it doesn't hold that sharpness very long at all. Classic 'euro' knife - thick, heavy and feels like it will never break.

So, throw me your suggestions. Ideally under $100AUD, though will admit I really like the look (counts for little if it won't perform how I want) of this Global G4 Kiritsuki(ish) knife.
Also not 100% against spending real coin for a beauty like these, IF they can tick all my boxes, especially the 'toughness' criteria (wife might just kill me though if I tell her that 'her' knife cost $300!!)
http://chefknivespro.com.au/knife-brand/shigeki-tanaka/tanaka-knife?product_id=371https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...gashi-r2-damascus-santoku-180mm-by-shiro-kamo

The Kaeru stainless feels like the perfect balance between performance and durability. The price is a big outside of your $100 price range, but should still be significantly lower than a Tanaka ginsan.

You could also look at various knives in molybdenum/AUS-8 which should be relatively easy on the wallet and softer steel that will be more forgiving for guests. For people not as comfortable with chef knives, perhaps you can also save some money with a smaller, say 6-7" knife instead.

I wouldnt necessarily consider the Tanaka ginsan a guest-friendly beater. It has a pretty thin grind that I would not feel comfortable lending to just anyone.

The Kaeru stainless feels like the perfect balance between performance and durability. The price is a big outside of your $100 price range, but should still be significantly lower than a Tanaka ginsan.

You could also look at various knives in molybdenum/AUS-8 which should be relatively easy on the wallet and softer steel that will be more forgiving for guests. For people not as comfortable with chef knives, perhaps you can also save some money with a smaller, say 6-7" knife instead.

I wouldnt necessarily consider the Tanaka ginsan a guest-friendly beater. It has a pretty thin grind that I would not feel comfortable lending to just anyone.
Big +1. Totally forgot about Kaeru.

I like the Kaeru very much. They are a little delicate for a beater- but that is just how I recall the knife I use for a week on vacation and gave to my son as a parting gift. I really liked that knife.

Less expensive and pretty well executed are the Tojiro DP series. I find the VG10 in their knives much easier to sharpen than the Chromova found in Global knives. I also found that they held a useable edge longer than the Globals did. They are not so very "thin behind the edge" as most high end knives. But they are a bit sturdier. They have a good price/ performance ratio IMHO.

Early on, when I was beginning to try out knives, I bought 2 Tanaka Ginsans as presents. I decided to give them away in a "sharp" condition. I had an extremely difficult time raising a burr on both of those knives. That was almost 10 years ago and I still remember that session. Many others have had a different experience; and I was a beginner free hand sharpener. So, I would take that into account.

I found the Kamo R2 knives a joy to sharpen and they get wicked sharp.

OK, some helpful advice so far, thank you all.

Looks like the Kaeru is out of stock (JNS the only seller?), same with any Gesshin stainless knives :(
Misono 440 I had looked at previously, but is around $190 shipped.
The Tojiro DP3 is possibly a good suggestion @ bang on $100 locally - I remember looking at these YEARS ago and as a complete newbie back then, being put off by the VG10 steel and it's reputation for being chippy. Anyone with real-world experience and feedback?
Another option that nearly fits right in my preferred budget is something with a more basic steel, like AUS-8. Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM perhaps?

Of course, that Shiro Kamo R2 keeps calling to me, but I really don't think I could justify a $300 knife to the CFO.

Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM knives fit the bill, asymmetric grind, just sharpen 2/3 on right side and 1/3 on left side. I have a set of these knives, they are some of my daily use beaters, the others, nicer, are Takamura R2.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkm-series
20200914_174827.jpg

Looks like the Kaeru is out of stock (JNS the only seller?), same with any Gesshin stainless knives :(
The Tojiro DP3 is possibly a good suggestion @ bang on $100 locally - I remember looking at these YEARS ago and as a complete newbie back then, being put off by the VG10 steel and it's reputation for being chippy. Anyone with real-world experience and feedback?
Another option that nearly fits right in my preferred budget is something with a more basic steel, like AUS-8. Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM perhaps?

Of course, that Shiro Kamo R2 keeps calling to me, but I really don't think I could justify a $300 knife to the CFO.
I use my tojiro Dp as a beater now unless I am REALY doing something I shouldn’t, the I use a super cheap Henkles. Tojiro can take a beating even more if you put like. 20 degree angle on it.

with Victorinox out, I think the Tojiro is a good idea. Since it is for guests anything above a 210mm is just to big for most people. And having a western handle is a plus for most people not in the knife world. I use my Tojiro as a beater of sorts now, if you put a 20 degree edge on it I think it could handle the uninitiated.

I'll endorse the FKM suggestion. I had a 210 as my first jknife, still use it as a beater and travel knife. Performs well enough to impress someone coming from dull western knives, tough steel, cheap enough I wouldn't cry if someone did manage to damage it. I would call it just OK to sharpen, definitely not on par with a nice stainless like ginsan, but it will take a pretty decent edge with a bit of work.

For guests, 180 might be a better size and you can save a few bucks.

To me, this is the world of steels in the AUS8, VG1, etc. realm with western handles and likely in santoku shape. Santoku's are sized right for most everyone, are familiar in sight and probably use and will likely have a slightly more robust tip than a gyuto.

MAC Pro and Masahiro MV are lines that come to mind.

Here is another that I've thought about for the same application:
https://knifewear.com/products/masutani-vg1-tuschime-western-santoku-165mm?variant=4370890326044

So, reading this thread and not knowing anything about these knives I was thinking I could buy the wife a knife. I was thinking a MAC PRO knife but it sounds like that is now not recommended. I would need a knife I can sharpen with a Worksharp Ken Onion so that kind of leaves out Fujiwara Kanefusa knives for me any way as I can't sharpen 1/3 and 2/3. What about the Misono 440? How thin and hard are they? I don't want a laser.

PS
I see a recommendation for a MAC PRO by HumbleHomeCook which posted at the same time as me.

Last edited:
The Masutani knife in VG1 and VG10 are both pretty good beaters. I have gifted 3 or 4 of each to family and friends. My wife likes one I kept better than a number of much nicer knives. The VG10 by them is easy to keep sharp. They are 30% less expensive at Chef knives togo.

Oh wow, yes, definitely much cheaper at CKTG!

I am not crazy about the Masutani VG1 pictured above. I like a chef knife style better. It is probably just me.

I am not crazy about the Masutani VG1 pictured above. I like a chef knife style better. It is probably just me.

Understandable buddy. But remember, the OP is asking about a knife to hand to guests and as I said, I think a santoku is a good choice for that role. You, in the meantime, whip out your favorite chef knife to do your work. :)

I got a shun kanso Here for just that purpose. It’s not big scary pointy, looks pretty good, and is quite tough with a thick slab of aus10 running the entire length.

I got a shun kanso Here for just that purpose. It’s not big scary pointy, looks pretty good, and is quite tough with a thick slab of aus10 running the entire length.
Nice, sadly the Shun is a $160+ knife here in Australia (either 20cm 'gyuto' or 18cm santoku)

Ok, I can see why one ought not drop or put anything sharp anywhere where anyone cannot see it. In a sink or under a rag, either. Don't know what that has to do with Mercer, unless badly malpositioning one brings back some bad memory

Last edited:
Back