Maguro Bocho Info

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a maguro bocho for a friend who works at a sushi spot near me that actually breaks down whole 300#+ bluefins weekly. As I was doing some research on them, they seem hard to come by and typically don't specify the blacksmith or sometimes even the steel type.

I know they're "wholesale" knives in the sense that they aren't typically seen or used outside of the fish market. I'm curious if anyone has any experience buying or using them. My friend is looking for something in the 450mm range. I did suggest a 390mm sakimaru/yanagiba if needed as a subsitute, but he seems set on the maguro bocho! Any help on sourcing one or any extra info would be awesome, thanks!

Maguro bocho are pretty specialty and I think the majority of them are custom ordered. I have seem them with the steel stamped in the ura and without, my 450 is stamped blue steel. As for maker, most of the ones I've seen have been from big brands, Sakai Takayuki, Masamoto, Sukenari, etc. There's also a number of them stamped with just the retailer name, so usually you won't be able to track to a specific smith, however, I think the sharpener is super important for these. Because they're so long it's difficult to grind them properly, and if you buy used, almost all of them will have some sort of warp or bend that will need fixing. I would probably recommend you buy a new one rather than used because of this. Miura usually has a couple on hand, if you email them and let them know you're looking for one they may have some they don't have listed on the website, or may help you order one.

Maguro bocho are pretty specialty and I think the majority of them are custom ordered. I have seem them with the steel stamped in the ura and without, my 450 is stamped blue steel. As for maker, most of the ones I've seen have been from big brands, Sakai Takayuki, Masamoto, Sukenari, etc. There's also a number of them stamped with just the retailer name, so usually you won't be able to track to a specific smith, however, I think the sharpener is super important for these. Because they're so long it's difficult to grind them properly, and if you buy used, almost all of them will have some sort of warp or bend that will need fixing. I would probably recommend you buy a new one rather than used because of this. Miura usually has a couple on hand, if you email them and let them know you're looking for one they may have some they don't have listed on the website, or may help you order one.
Definitely a good point about used ones, thanks!

Those big boi cost a ton, as Greaylake said you can custom order them from shops. Maybe ask Strata if they can come up with a Sakai Kikumori one. Alternatively would your friend consider these?
https://jendeindustries.com/kitchen-knives/master-kuo-knives/g-series-fish-butchering-knives.htmlhttps://jendeindustries.com/kitchen-knives/master-kuo-knives/gl-series-long-fish-and-bbq-knives.html
I think he is looking for the length for cutting down the loins in one go. I think he has a few deba, I've sharpened a 210mm for him before.

How much do you like your friend as they usually start around 100,000 - 150,000 JPY (depending on the maker) and go up from there. Most come out of Sakai and I’ve seen single bevel and double bevel versions.

Has he asked his boss or his longer-standing workmates what they use?

Has he asked his boss or his longer-standing workmates what they use?
Yeah I went and watched the chef break it down one day and he was using a few different yanagi, longest being a 300mm,a deba and a more western cleaver. But my friend apparently is using a machete in place of the maguro bocho. I'm able to find some sakimaru up to 390mm but he insists on the 450mm+. It's not my money haha!

Back