Martin Huber Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I shipped it off to @Mikeadunne this morning, he should hopefully get it tomorrow so he can enjoy it over the weekend.

I will start off with my overall impression, I REALLY liked this knife. I hope everyone down the line enjoys it as much as my limited use held. Probably the only downside with it was that it lost its bite after making a very large batch of chicken soup. I choose not to touch it up, but it did not immediately slice into ripe cherry tomatoes after the soup. I will be interested in hearing everyone else's impressions on stropping and sharpening. As I did most of my testing in that one go, I figured I did not have to strop it for my own curiosity....not sure what I was thinking. Other than tomatoes, the random stuff I bought the next day it still did great on.

So for the Merion Forge pass around I did a beef stew. This time around I switched to chicken soup, but the main testing ingredients were still present. I did not have any issues with the onion, the (unneeded) horizontal swipes were smooth with the front half of the blade. It went smoothly thru the carrots, tho there was some cracking on the thicker ones at the bottom. I thought the food release was very good for a non-WH knife, most of the carrots and celery were left on the board and not climbing the blade. Potatoes always stick, but it was not bad, and the thinner stack slices mostly stayed on the board.

The 2nd day of random stuff was mainly more carrots, potatoes and a sweet potato. I was impressed with how it handled the sweet potato with little effort. There was some slight wedging on granny smith apples, but only a bit and easy to push thru.

With the 20% off some of Martin Huber knifes posted in the Knife Findings thread yesterday I almost pulled the trigger on one. There was one that (pre-discount) for $525 that I noticed someone picked up already....thank you. I have a couple of new knives coming to me so I think I will wait on getting one for now, but a high likelihood of picking one up in the future.

Thank you very much @Gshep91 for letting me try this out.

And I will now quit my rambling and wish everyone a good night.

Knife is off to @David R
Thanks again for doing this @Gshep91
Handle shape & handle in general were insanely comfortable. The knife was a little too forward balanced for my taste, but definitely not a deal-breaker. Cut extremely smooth and the taper was excellent. Didn't put the knife on stones, but stropped a little & took a nice edge extremely easily
Overall big fan...maybe I'll get a rectangle when I have some funds available

David has just written to me to tell me I'm next, but I am taking myself off of the list. Since I signed up, I bought a Martin Huber cleaver off of the BST. I'm enjoying it tremendously. But it has robbed me of the compelling desire to try one of his gyutos. How often do people climb the mountain next to Everest?

Plans changed and I ended up cooking dinner. Rather than taking notes and editing them into one post later I'll give stream of conscientiousness feedback now. It's a good looking knife. My first thoughts when I unpacked it was that it was large, heavy, and thick stock. It wasn't a negative reaction. but different than what I am used to.

Short story: this is an excellent knife that fits me well. It's a larger knife that handles like a smaller one. It's thicker at the spine that I'm used to, but the taper makes this mostly irrelevant. I don't recall the price so I can't speak to the perceived value. It's an excellent knife.

Longer story: I didn't weight it. It's heavier than my other knives. I don't know by how much. The spine looks thick - maybe 3mm? I can measure it this weekend. I wasn't concerned when I looked at the edge: you can barely see any edge bevel. This knife tapers down to nothing at the edge. I will also measure behind-the-edge thickness this weekend.

Before cutting anything it felt fine. It feels like a lot of knife. Again, different than I'm used to. The balance point is almost exactly at the makers mark. That's a little more forward than my other knives. I never noticed this when cutting with it. The blade profile is good with a nice flat spot toward the heel. I'll try to get a pic of that a well.

The first thing I wanted to do what sharpen it. But the edge did not feel bad. Not the sharpest, but it seems sharp with the finger test. It had a little trouble cutting a paper towel - didn't want to start easily, but once it did it cut nicely. So not a newly sharpened edge, but a good one and very usable. I did not sharpen it.

I used the knife just a little but for prep work: two onions sliced (not chopped), a few peppers, an apple (just to try it), and some carrots and some asparagus. I need to cut a lot more stuff to get a better sense of how it does, so I reserve the right to change my mind when I get more time with it.

I cut food alternating with 2 other knives for comparison: my 240 Konosuke, and a 210 Guyto from a Murry Carter apprentice (a Muteki knife).

Summary: this knife cuts really well. It has that "drop through the food" quality you don't quite get with a lighter knife. It isn't quite as lasery as my Konosuke, but it's it's surprisingly close. This thing cuts like crazy. The edge is also quite good, so kudos to whoever did that. It's good a nice bite to it and just grabs on immediately.

The size and weight are not an issue. This knife fit my hand well (I pinch grip) and it felt very natural. I didn't notice the handle at all. I think that says a lot. I had almost no getting-used-to-it transition. I don't know if the weight would be an issue for somebody who cuts all day. I'll try to do an hour or two of solid prep work this weekend to see how that goes.

The 210mm Muteki felt absolutely tiny after using the Huber. The Huber never felt large or hard to control to me. But it somehow dwarfs the Muteki. The comparison to the Kono was more striking. The Kono is a good knife, particularly if you want something thin. This model of the Kono is awkward to me - it somehow feels too long and I never feel like I have good control of the tip. The Huber knife absolutely convinced me of this. They are close to the same size, but the Kono feels longer and much less controllable at the tip. The Huber has something going on where a largish knife handles like a medium sized knife.

I'm not sure if the Huber is that much better or if the Kono is really that awkward. Either way, the Huber is very good. I did not compare it to any European chef's knives. Wil do so this weekend. However, none of them have anything close to the thinness at the edge the Huber has.

The fit and finish are good. I didn't look closely but will do so later. It has a nice bluish patina on it, so good job to whoever did that. I'm sure my veggies didn't help there.

Some quick photos below. I'll try to get more this weekend.

Attachments

• PXL_20240321_190536161-EDIT (1).jpg
    PXL_20240321_190536161-EDIT (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240321_190555731-EDIT (1).jpg
    PXL_20240321_190555731-EDIT (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240321_190649307-EDIT (1).jpg
    PXL_20240321_190649307-EDIT (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240321_190823280-EDIT.jpg
    PXL_20240321_190823280-EDIT.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The weekend got away from me. I did some cutting and will give some descriptions below.

I measured the spine: it's a little over 3mm at the handle, down to 2.5mm at the makers mark, and less than 1/2mm at the tip. This thing has a fantastic distal taper, at least for me. About a cm back from the tip it's thinner than my Konsuke, which starts at under 2.5mm at the handle. Both my good calipers and my micrometer are MIA. I has to use my crappy brass pocket calipers which are nowhere near accurate to measure the behind the edge thickness on this knife. Sorry about that. It's well under 0.5mm. (One of risks of having an adult kid at home who likes to work on his car - I can never find anything.) I also can't find my good digital scale, so I did not weight the knife. Hopefully somebody with a scale can weight it for us and report back.

Food release is good with this knife. Better than anything else I currently own, but none of them are great for food release. I've tried an acid washed blade that had better food release. But this one is very good. Potato sticks to the blade but is not glued to it. Sweet potato a little more. But better than you'll find on most knives.

I diced some onions. This was a breeze. The thinness at the tip and the virtual k-tip profile make tip work a real pleasure with this knife.

Everything else I tired worked well: squash, carrots, leeks, peppers, other veggies I'm forgetting. I cut some cooked chicken with it (I deboned it first) and that was great, as expected.

The wife was less enthusiastic. She loved the shape and how it cuts. She did not like the weight and preferred the Konosuke based on that. She spent only ~5 minutes with it.

I knew I was looking for something different than I have in a knife. I don't know if this is "the one" for me, but it is very much in the right direction. I would be very happy to have this knife.

Some not great photos below. One choil shot and one spine shot. I noticed in the spine shot that the tip appears to be bent. I was sure this was an optical illusion. I double checked and it's actually bent. Hard to see outside of a picture and I never would have noticed it otherwise. I'm 95% sure I didn't do this. I does not seem to impact the performance at all, but still sorry to be the one to find this.

The knife will be on the way to @Stevem627 tomorrow.

PXL_20240326_031734996.jpg
PXL_20240326_034056015.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like @David R skipped a few people. @Stevem627 can you make sure to send it to @Tekkz next so we get back on track?

When @cwk.v gets it we’ll just skip over @Stevem627 straight to @Heckel7302
Rangen and Cwk.v withdrew. I think Heckel's post here has the updated list now.

Knife received! Super quick. Will take pics once I have some better light. The bend David mentioned is quite noticeable when looking for it. I'm not sure if it's just the tip either. Kind of looks like the last 1/4 of the blade is slightly warped.

Knife received! Super quick. Will take pics once I have some better light. The bend David mentioned is quite noticeable when looking for it. I'm not sure if it's just the tip either. Kind of looks like the last 1/4 of the blade is slightly warped.
2 knives passed around and 2 knives damaged.

It happens, if anyone feels confident straightening feel free.

Back