• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Masakage Koishi AS 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have accumulated way too many knives and it is time to make some room on my rack. First up is one of my early Japanese knives, my well loved and well used Koishi. One of the previous owners softened the shoulders and thinned it a bit. As I did not own it new, I cant speak to OOTB performance, but with thinned shoulders it cuts very nicely. It was in my regular work rotation for months, so it has been sharpened as necessary. The AS holds a fairly long lived edge, so I didnt have to take it to the stones as often as som other knives.

As is my habit, I swapped out the existing handle with a stabilized mahogany western wa with a brass faceplate. I crafted a matching saya out of a similar piece of mahogany. The handle added to the weight a little and moved the balance point to a spot about 2 cm from the heel. It is a comfortable, and well balanced knife to use, but it has been replaced in my line-up with a Two Sticks AS and a denka.

Length - 242
Weight - 213
Height - 49
Thickness out of the handle - 3mm with a some distal taper

This is an excwllent knife for a working cook who is just starting out on his knife journey. Looking to get $235 which includes shipping in the US and PP fees.

20221107_142950_HDR.jpg
20221107_143009_HDR.jpg
20221107_143028_HDR.jpg
20221107_143143_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question on this knife. As I own the same and was looking at replacing the handle. Do you remember if it was epoxied to the tang or if they used hot glue or wax?

Thanks

I can't tell you whether it was hot glue or just wax, but it did pop off pretty easily. My normal routine is to stick the handle in a toaster oven, set at 250 F for about 15 minutes, then use a board and mallet. I let the blade stick out the crack in the door, and use a piece of cardboard to protect the blade.

You are a hero birdsfan !

I threw mine in a sous vide bag into a jar then poured boiling water into the jar, came off very easily after that!

Back