Masamoto KS - The Phoenix Rises (2018)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRC_64

Reaction score
Stats (actual):

Length: 250mm
Wt: 162g
Ht: 48.15
Spine: 2.85 (at Choil)

Engraving: yes, w/shallow relief

No obvious flaws in the grind,
or fit and finish.

Source: JDM.

TLDR:

They appear to be new or
NOS finished in good form.

:)

One sec, let me restart my computer, maybe the pics will show up then

Sorry for the boring thread :rofl:

This was meant to simply provide the data points for 2018 vintage masamotos.

For the picture people, here is a visual update:

These are public pics from Blueway Japan (recent, via ebay)...175g with a 2.6mm spine.
OP data set is a different sample from the data (162g, 2.9mm spine per data in post#1)

s-l1600.jpg

Here are the comparative pics from the 2014 period when they were being reported with grind issues:

Chinacat, your ks choil shot looks very different than mine. I can't take good picture as yours; however, this is my ks choil shot to compare with....
your ks

my ks

So the blue way image appears to be legit
based on a 2nd actual sample (w/data-set)
from another supplier.

What’s the difference between the Masamoto KS and the Masamoto Shiroko Hongasumi Wa Gyuto 240 that’s available on Korin’s website?

Is that all? The grind, shape, handle and even steel seem to be identical. I am a total knife newb though so my eyes could not be seeing the unique differences.

What’s the difference between the Masamoto KS and the Masamoto Shiroko Hongasumi Wa Gyuto 240 that’s available on Korin’s website?

I believe they are the same.

JCK has this description of the KS line: "The KS Series is Masamoto’s range of high-grade Shiro-ko #2 (White Steel No.2 ) Hon Kasumi Japanese traditional-style knives." I assume Hon Kasumi and Hongasumi are just alternative transliterations.

Can you please provide some overall pics? Particularly the makers mark

How deep is the embossed kanji? Is that laser etched?

Is that all? The grind, shape, handle and even steel seem to be identical. I am a total knife newb though so my eyes could not be seeing the unique differences.

Judging by the choil shots in this thread, the new grind looks nothing like the old (as well as my experience with one) The new being considerably thinner, possible it will not have the same good release as older samples.

edit: Just keep in mind you can never judge too much from just looking at a choil shot. Folks will probably report how they cut :)

Judging only from my own experience with one Huw. That had a pronounced convex grind and good distal taper, it cut well and had good release. So I figured that was big parts of it's popularity.

For the picture people, here is a visual update:

These are public pics from Blueway Japan (recent, via ebay)...175g with a 2.6mm spine.
OP data set is a different sample from the data (162g, 2.9mm spine per data in post#1)

Here are the comparative pics from the 2014 period when they were being reported with grind issues:
Thanks for sharing! The new one looks nice. Please take the old photos with a grain of salt though :)

The general consensus was that the KS knives sold on Rakuten were Masamoto seconds (re: the second knife pictured). They had issues but were priced accordingly. I'm not stating this as fact but I'm interested in hearing personal stories about KS knives with grind issues that weren't purchased from Rakuten.

Apologizes for the bad photo but here's my KS choil shot:

Hi13jH2.jpg

This is a deep kanji sample that's never been sharpened. I'd be interested in seeing more KS choil shots (new & old).

Not taking away from the fact that the laser etched KS appear to have a wicked grind!

Fuji, any shots of the distal taper or measurements of the spine on that sample?

FWIW, I owned the Rakuten knife shows but had seen fatties from Koki and Korin...and decent examples from Rakuten. Basically the grinds were all over the place.

Man, that is a lot of knife. Intimidating to me for sure. I just recently started using an undersized 240 and have a KS 240(255) on the way. I could not imagine nearly 300mm of blade!

Man, that is a lot of knife. Intimidating to me for sure. I just recently started using an undersized 240 and have a KS 240(255) on the way. I could not imagine nearly 300mm of blade!

I tried that exact knife for a few weeks recently and I have to say it's much more nimble than the size would make you think. Using the tip is a challenge/adjustment but other than that great for big stew meals and going through a lot of cabbage.

I tried that exact knife for a few weeks recently and I have to say it's much more nimble than the size would make you think. Using the tip is a challenge/adjustment but other than that great for big stew meals and going through a lot of cabbage.

Yeah but I have been using 165-180mm knives for much of my life, even after my switch to J-knives. A 210 didn't sit well with me, for whatever reason. However, I am oddly attracted to knives in the 170-190mm range as well as a new found attraction to knives in the 225-235mm range. Now with the KS on the way, that is a reassuring statement!

Yeah but I have been using 165-180mm knives for much of my life, even after my switch to J-knives. A 210 didn't sit well with me, for whatever reason. However, I am oddly attracted to knives in the 170-190mm range as well as a new found attraction to knives in the 225-235mm range. Now with the KS on the way, that is a reassuring statement!
I'm mostly a 235mm gyuto guy. I like the combo of 180-190mm and 230-245mm gyuto, that knife made me crave something bigger for a change of pace tho.

Back