Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah well, impatience levels were rising and I was about to throw a mild tizzy at DHL who, according to tracking, have been processing my parcel for 3 days at a delivery depot. Just stick a label on it and post it out you tossers was loosely my thinking here.

Sadly further investigation has revealed that the Kamom seems to have been passed over to another courier company (Parcelforce) here, who are about to mail me a lovely letter detailing exactly how many bodily organs I’lll need to pay in additional duties. If I‘m lucky they’ll simply seagull/shitpost an open card through the letterbox, all too clearly detailing the full horror of the multi-hundred pound charges to anyone nearby. Including my, no doubt disbelieving, wife

I’ll be sleeping by the postbox tonight, just in case. I’m a little bit disappointed by that Basel chap not living up to the Swiss tax dodger stereotype to be honest.…

😡😉

I think ChefDoom has been reincarnated.
I like your particular brand of vitriol, sir, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sadly I suspect they‘ll even deliver it on one of those primary-coloured cards with sunny graphics of cheery postmen, accompanied with a trite ‘Sorry that your wife is going to kill we missed you’ message.

They know what they’re doing, those evil courier cads

😡

Every bit the knife I thought it would be.

1DBAB622-D679-490C-BE9D-F834BE6A7AB6.jpeg

:dancingcow: ~massdrop fun fact~:dancingcow:

did you know...

@KAMON Knives refused to dispose of his recycling for the 3 months he was working on the massdrop?
It's true - he sent it all to me :) 3 giant boxes worth 🤗
that's why the packages were so goddamn heavy - it was 95% recyclable waste
customs was probably like why is this man importing trash from Austria what is going on???

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-08 at 2.49.51 PM.jpeg

So, the jaunty Parcelforce postwankers pushed the customs and duties breakdown forcefully through the letterbox today, as predicted. Thankfully it was in an envelope and I got there first, so I got the dubious pleasure of seeing the full amount alone, ears and testicles still intact. A new record charge for me- no effort was.spared at claiming the full 20% extra here for sure - leaving just enough to buy a fun size Snickers out of couple of tons. I’ll steel myself to pay online tomorrow and it’ll will be with me on Monday, or perhaps I’ll dial it in for Wednesday, when the missus is at the office, and me and the Kamon can spend a little more quality time together.

The blade will be worth it, I’m sure, but you can probably understand me cursing Brexit right about now in the most colourful language possble. Just a year ago Blighty was still part of the EU and all would have been sunny - this knife would have been with me at Chrimbo, customs and duties untroubled. Instead the Kamon‘s had its torpedo handle violated by customs before languishing in a Parcelforce compound for ages, couriers set free to taunt me with a torturously slow set of financially ridiculous demands to assure its release.

I blame Boris, And perhaps Basel for his lack of stereotyped Swiss shiftiness and timeliness here. And pretty much anyone I can think of, including fruitarians and particularly homeopaths that believe in Reiki. Sod all of you, with spiky broomsticks with bells on

This slightly grey mood won’t last for long mind. I have a Kamon on the way after all…

👍

You mean, A LOT?

260 is pretty big for most of what I do, but I just think his knives look great at that size. Proportions are just ON.

I fully agree! But I once had an even bigger Kamon, 270, and it handled like a 240 it was so well balanced. So I am confident this will be well within my wheelhouse.

Seeing so few people use their knives so far makes me sad. Everyone waiting for an opportunity to put theirs up on BST huh? 😉

Mine’s got prime position in the kitchen lineup alongside a couple of other recent pickups (laser-like Metal Monkey Gyuto and a beast Tansu HVB Gyuto). The Kamon is a great performer in the kitchen; lovely bit of power at the heel and as nimble a tip as you could ask for.

Seeing so few people use their knives so far makes me sad. Everyone waiting for an opportunity to put theirs up on BST huh? 😉

I think the majority are in the US and they’re just now trickling out after being stuck in customs.

I’ll be doing some videos for sure but it’ll probably be a couple weeks.

Delat, no three finger test, would be my first move, enjoy

I cut a finger wiping off the oil, does that count? ;)

It’s very sharp OOTB, about as sharp as I normally shoot for with my own knives. This one and my Yoshikane will be the only knives I don’t immediately touch up or at least strop before use because they don’t need it and I couldn’t improve on the edge anyway. I did an HHT test and it’s HHT1.

Mine’s got prime position in the kitchen lineup alongside a couple of other recent pickups (laser-like Metal Monkey Gyuto and a beast Tansu HVB Gyuto). The Kamon is a great performer in the kitchen; lovely bit of power at the heel and as nimble a tip as you could ask for.
Love mine as well, the tip is lovely.

Back