mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can try take some measurements tomorrow, but regarding the shoulders, see. the below pic, and note that I mean to write mm not m (I mean it was thick but not that thick). Where it starts to get to 2mm at the top of the primary bevel half way down the knife, it was actually the same thickness as the spine and I'm pretty sure in some cases, thicker than the spine.

It was plenty thin right behind the edge.

View attachment 105018

Yea, I also noticed a bit of concave grind between the widest part of the bevel and the spine. I updated my previous post with numbers for comparison.

Yea, I also noticed a bit of concave grind between the widest part of the bevel and the spine.

Thanks, I'll compared tomorrow. Regarding the concave grind (between the shoulders/spine), I had the same on an earlier nakiri, and a friend has the same on an even older 240, we are currently unsure to why this is and I'm not sure I can be bothered to read through the previous 64 pages to see if there has been any discussion yet.

FYI here is the handle oiled and waxed, as it probably should be OOTB. The bolster will act as a sponge otherwise.

20201123_164236.jpg

Thanks, I'll compared tomorrow. Regarding the concave grind (between the shoulders/spine), I had the same on an earlier nakiri, and a friend has the same on an even older 240, we are currently unsure to why this is and I'm not sure I can be bothered to read through the previous 64 pages to see if there has been any discussion yet.

my 240 has that too.

Ive not had a ton of issues, but I do plan to soften the shinogi myself a bit in the course of time. cant say I feel mine needs to be thinned right away though

Perhaps it has to do with food release (S-type grind)?

Really the best way to get the perfect Maz profile is just buy the dammy. It’s puuuuurrrrrfect. 😜.

I was able to get 3 of the first gen bullnose and I’m a happy camper, the other ones I kept still remind me every time why I’m a fan.

I actually really like those profiles on carbon right now. If it was SS clad, I would of grabbed one already. I already have my fair share of mazaki from past purchases. Wish he would do SS clad for more than just Razorsharp or whatever.

I actually really like those profiles on carbon right now. If it was SS clad, I would of grabbed one already. I already have my fair share of mazaki from past purchases. Wish he would do SS clad for more than just Razorsharp or whatever.

I agree with you 100%

Satisfied with my CKC

CKC KU Maz is fun to use. I stayed away from those knifewear models because they looked inconsistent and some of the choice shots scared me a bit

I also got a blue 1 honsanmai Mazaki from K&S - that knife is in a different class altogether - meticulous, really well made, if you can find one.

That’s the best Mazaki I have - but I only have 2, and got rid of the JNS Kasumi - just did not like that one.

I am not ready to pay 1,500 for a Maz blue 2 Damascus. There is one available online, but I can’t get myself to pull the trigger. The 2021 batch maz Damascus could be a blue 1, and is likely going to be made much better. I will wait

Question for the learned - does anyone know what a Yoshihiro Mazaki is like? More like CKC?

yes. The best Mazaki I had to date was from ckc. 2 batches ago. Only problem was that the tip was too thin and I tipped it within 30secs of using it. Also it was distinctly left handed oddly so I traded it to a wrong hand person on the forum. I bought a Yoshihiro to replace it. Same handle and all. Pretty sure it was from the same batch.

I got a gem from yoshihiro over a year ago. The best mazaki i’ve had yet and probably one of my favorite gyutos I own. Even compared to ones that are triple the price. I’m sure all his grinds have thickened up a little everywhere though. This was when they were really thin behind the edge but still beefy as heck. Sweet keyaki handle too.

yes. The best Mazaki I had to date was from ckc. 2 batches ago. Only problem was that the tip was too thin and I tipped it within 30secs of using it. Also it was distinctly left handed oddly so I traded it to a wrong hand person on the forum. I bought a Yoshihiro to replace it. Same handle and all. Pretty sure it was from the same batch.
I had the same experience with the tip - bent it almost a day later - so thin

If anyone is interested, there is a 270 mm Gyuto, Mazaki Damascus on sale for USD 2,400

never thought I would see the day! Mazaki more expensive than Kato WH and River Jump and Shig Kitaeji

Update - it’s now sold out - blue 1 Damascus Mazaki, the last batch was blue 2.

for those who want to see - it’s at Protool - also a Jiro 270 Gyuto still available there

Is it just me or does anyone else find that ridiculous?!

there's a lot of things I look at and think I dont get it

there are so many great knives you can buy for huge $$$; what's this one offering that justifies the price? suminagashi blue steel? that's not even close to enough for me personally. yeah finish looks better than his typical white stuff but like, that stuff costs 300 bucks.

btw wanted to say Ive continued using my 240 KU and like it more and more.

I havent quite taken enough metal off to have a really nice consistent kasumi, but it's getting there, and cutting seems to have improved by refining the finish, so yeah all in all really happy with mine.

there's a lot of things I look at and think I dont get it

there are so many great knives you can buy for huge $$$; what's this one offering that justifies the price? suminagashi blue steel? that's not even close to enough for me personally. yeah finish looks better than his typical white stuff but like, that stuff costs 300 bucks.

some people justify it, say it’s rarer than a Shig Kitaeji. I mean the 270 Shig kitaeji sells for $900 less than this 270 Damascus Mazaki. I do scratch my noggin about that

others say supply and demand - if people are willing to pay 2,400 K, who are we to say anything.

in the 80’s women were wearing sweatpants saying “juicy“on the bum, and spending $100 for it. It was vogue

there is a huge hype on the forum re mazaki, whipping up demand- maybe it’s vogue now to spend thousands on a mazaki Damascus

but hats off to him, he has created a knife more expensive than a Kato WH and people are buying it

some people justify it, say it’s rarer than a Shig Kitaeji. I mean the 270 Shig kitaeji sells for $900 less than this 270 Damascus Mazaki. I do scratch my noggin about that

others say supply and demand - if people are willing to pay 2,400 K, who are we to say anything.

in the 80’s women were wearing sweatpants saying “juicy“on the bum, and spending $100 for it. It was vogue

there is a huge hype on the forum re mazaki, whipping up demand- maybe it’s vogue now to spend thousands on a mazaki Damascus

but hats off to him, he has created a knife more expensive than a Kato WH and people are buying it

rarity is justification itself for some people. kind of like "vintage" or "hype".

it doesnt really do anything for me, personally. if I can buy a better knife at the same price or lower, I will.

I probably come off grumpy and like I think really high end stuff is a waste and I really dont. Ive got two 100 watt Two Rock amps, am a big fan of high end Pelikan/Nakaya pens, hell my avatar on this forum used to be the Leica logo because their rangefinders are my favorite 35mm cameras. I just dont like stuff getting rocketed to stratospheric prices for reasons that are prima facie not related to the quality of the thing itself. yeah some stuff is pretty subjective, but Ill never get over the hump of something being good because it's rare/old/exclusive

fwiw the two primary complaints I have about the plain-jane Mazaki are 1. finish quality and 2. use of white steel instead of blue. Id gladly pay 5 or 600 for a 240 gyuto from him that solved those two for me, depending on the specifics.

rarity is justification itself for some people. kind of like "vintage" or "hype".

it doesnt really do anything for me, personally. if I can buy a better knife at the same price or lower, I will.

I probably come off grumpy and like I think really high end stuff is a waste and I really dont. Ive got two 100 watt Two Rock amps, am a big fan of high end Pelikan/Nakaya pens, hell my avatar on this forum used to be the Leica logo because their rangefinders are my favorite 35mm cameras. I just dont like stuff getting rocketed to stratospheric prices for reasons that are prima facie not related to the quality of the thing itself. yeah some stuff is pretty subjective, but Ill never get over the hump of something being good because it's rare/old/exclusive

fwiw the two primary complaints I have about the plain-jane Mazaki are 1. finish quality and 2. use of white steel instead of blue. Id gladly pay 5 or 600 for a 240 gyuto from him that solved those two for me, depending on the specifics.

Amen!! I think you said it best.

and I did pay $500 for a blue 1 Gyuto Sanmai by Maz (K&S) that has great fit and finish. My best Mazaki to date

for me it’s the Montegrappa!

I'm really hesitant about buying another knife in Shiro 2. Always leaves me unsatisfied somehow.

If it were white 1, blue 1, or AS with primo heat treat (maaaaybe blue 2) I'd have bought one long ago.

Back