Mazaki vs Munetoshi Honyaki vs Munetoshi Kurouchi 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for as edge retention VS sharpenability (I use my knives mainly in a restaurant) I want good enough edge retention while still being "easy to touch-up". Something like blue/blue super/Ginsan/R2/SemiStainless range is a good compromise. White steel, for me, is more than acceptable for when I don't have a lot of poly board contact. Your mileage and preference may vary.

My TF's and mazakis hold up very well. No need to thin a mazaki...but really depends on which one delivered. He went through
different renditions and may have learned his lesson. I used to think that the wow edge of whites disappeared too quickly.
The introduction of a horsebutt strop was a game changer. Then again, I am a home cook.

I really enjoy sharpening my 210 Munetoshi. I feel I get way more bite in the edge compared to my Y.Ikeda.
The tip is very well done and surprisingly thin considering the rest of the blade. Mine needs a very good thinning, or widening of the bevels, to perform satisfactory as an allround knife in the kitchen. Just slightly too thick in cross-section for the bevel geometry to properly function, but mine may very well be an oddball.

I really enjoy sharpening my 210 Munetoshi. I feel I get way more bite in the edge compared to my Y.Ikeda.
The tip is very well done and surprisingly thin considering the rest of the blade. Mine needs a very good thinning, or widening of the bevels, to perform satisfactory as an allround knife in the kitchen. Just slightly too thick in cross-section for the bevel geometry to properly function, but mine may very well be an oddball.
Agree, much prefer mune San Mai wh2 over any of the Ikeda San mai wh2 up to this point.

What about heat treat of toyama Bl2 compared to Munetoshi Wh2? I know they are different steel, but I'm also kinda intrigued by Toyama Damascus on the website.

Back