"Mediterranean" cooking

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A 2014 longitudinal study (20+ years) appears to support the claim that the "Mediterranean diet" is the healthiest of many styles of eating.

The problem is that this region is extremely diverse. Cooking in the south of France has little in common with Spain, North Africa, Italy (itself broken down into so many regions), Greece, Turkey, Lebanon . . .

If you pick up a "Mediterranean Diet" cookbook, it appears to pay little homage to authentic cooking from these various regions, and seems more intent on making recipes with a limited number of ingredients that tend to be common throughout (as is its purpose).

For those looking for authentic Medditeranian cooking, what are your favorite cookbooks? Suggestions by region are most welcome.

Thanks folks.

Chiff

I will recommend A Mediterranean Feast, by Clifford Wright. It's got all the food and recipes you might want, and is loaded with fascinating history. It's more than a cookbook. It's history and culture with recipes.

Cheers,

Jack

Provence: the Beautiful by Richard Olney. One of the best French cookbooks by probably the best French cooking advocate. Not "Mediterranean" in today's fashion, but in the real world.

Much, much more than a coffee table book.

Anything by Aglaia Kremezi, Diane Kochilas, Greg Malouf, or Nur Ilkin.

The Greg Malouf books are really intriguing. I've lived in Israel and visited Egypt and I really miss the cooking over there. The pacific NW is really lacking in quality mid east restaurants unfortunately. There is a tiny shewarma joint in Seattle run by a Palestinian family from Jericho that is pretty legit, but it is more "street food" than anything else (not that that's a bad thing)

Then I'll start with her. Which title did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
"Medditerranean Vegetarian Feasts"

yeah, yeah, I know what you are thinking. It's the current one though, and my wife and I got to meet Mrs. Kremezi when we picked it up. FWIW, she hosted a pig dinner the following week, so she's versed in more then just the veggie aspects.

BTW, since this type of cuisine is what ChefCosta lives and breaths, I'm sure his other recommendations are worthy of a look.

Back