Metallurgist expert welding question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mille162

Reaction score
For any metallurgist geeks here, I have a welding question.

Looking for a forged carbon pan. Cooks Illustrated’s only real complaint of the Mauviel model was it’s weight. The Blu Skillet pans seem to be higher rated due to the helper handle that would eliminate the weight issue. The Mauviel is roughly 1/3 the price, so I’d like to see whats involved in getting a small helper handle welded on.

What metal do I need to ask for as far as handle material? Is this a basic and easy weld or do I need to find someone with a certain specialty?

Cast Iron is not easy to weld.
Carbon steel is easy to weld.

Amazon has the 12.5” on sale for $63.96. My friend is a great welder and will put on a handle for no charge ( I just didnt want to ask if it was going to be very difficult/time consuming).

I went through the mauvielusa.com site and the only pans I see with the helper handle are the wok or the paella pans...if you know where I can find one of their fry pans with the handle, please help save me the project hassle lol!

If hes a welder I dont think he will have any problems doing the weld. If you want to ease the work tell him something like function over beauty.

Thanks but I was looking for a standard handle to use as a frying pan with a smaller helper handle for when its full (due to heavier pan weight). The Mauviel brand was what I was after specifically. The De Buyer got bad reviews for difficulty in seasoning as well as the high angle of the handle.

Back