• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Ashi, Yasushige, Gesshin Ittetsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings and thanks for looking!
  • Prices include worldwide shipping to US and EU (Asia and Australia, let's talk). I’m in Brazil and use Fedex or UPS, costs me ˜$50-60 and arrives in 5 days (US and EU)
  • Buy more than one knife and I'll give you a discount
  • 5% discount for Wise payments. PM me if you need references, I’ve been around since 2017. Otherwise, PayPal G&S

SUMMARY

Gesshin Ittetsu 270 kasumi gyuto$500 480
Gesshin Ashi 240 gyutohiki hybrid (stainless)$250 230
Yasushige 270mm yanagiba (Swedish steel)$300 280
Mikami 165 santoku / bunka SOLD$220
Heiji 190 pettysuji (semistainless) SOLD$275 260
Robert Herder 1922 9” carbon chefs knife TRADED$200

I have other items for sale that probably only make sense if you buy one of the knives listed above (due to shipping costs). PM me for more info:
  • Gesshin 6k resinoid (barely used)
  • CCK 1302 (only tested)
  • A bunch of vintage Sabatier knives (some cool stuff!)
  • Shibazi F208-2 cleaver

Gesshin Ittetsu 270 Kasumi gyuto
US$500

189g
261 x 54mm
white #2, ironclad
with original box

Initial sharpening by Jon, then stropped once on a BBW. Used very lightly at home. Great condition except some of the original finish on the cladding wore off (due to patina or Flitz, IDK). Should be easy to touch up with some fingerstones or stone powder/mud. I received it in a trade with another member, valued at $600. Very impressive knife!

Yasushige 270mm yanagiba
US$300

https://imgur.com/a/wTFRrOp

Swedish steel, ironclad
ships in a Konosuke box

From the 300-year old Yasushige shop in Kyoto. Apparently the steel is similar to Heiji and Shigefusa’s Swedish steel. Never saw much use or sharpening. Bevels are beautifully polished. Blade face has a near mirror finish with some scratches remaining. Nice marbling on the horn.

Gesshin Ashi 240 gyutohiki hybrid

115g
230 x 40mm
AEB-L monosteel
with original box
with original saya

Has some very superficial scratches from wiping, otherwise in great shape. Never saw much use or sharpening. Handle was a bit dull so I sanded the wood to #400, horn to a high gloss and Tung oiled everything.

Mikami 165 santoku (bunka bocho)
US$220

132g
165 x 48mm
aogami #1, ironclad

Bought from Michaeal early last year. Used 3-4 times at home, stropped once on my BBW.

The plastic ferrule arrived cracked so I removed it, planning on doing a @cotedupy style transplant with a horn ferrule. I never got to it, so here we are. There is a small crack on the wood close to the blade. I can throw in a nice Hitohira ho & horn handle if interested.

Heiji 190 pettysuji
US$275 SOLD

115g
190 x 33mm
comes with original box

Bevels are ˜80% stone ready (too much travelling lately so I paused most knife projects). Spine and choil were rounded and polished, handle treated and Carnaúba-waxed to a nice shine.

Robert Herder 1922 9” carbon chefs knife
$210

229g
223 x 46 mm
CS75 @ 60 HRC, monosteel
includes original box

Also never saw much use or sharpening. Great German knife, quite thin behind the edge, hard steel, great grind.

Last edited:
For the yasushige, I owned a nakiri made by them in swedish steel.

Way sharper than heiji and shigefusa ht of swedish. Almost a jump from SK to white steel -- that sort of bitiness jump. Heiji feels more toward a semi stainless, shigefusa felt more toward a tamahagane or low abrasion white steel kinda, yasushige felt like a sick western / japanese hybrid ht. Reminded me of an excellent togo steel almost but not as coarse or alloyed. Or wakui V2 but harder and finer and slightly more carbon or alloy, and more pure

They seem to make some of their own knives, some others from other makers, but the yanagi looks like it's made by yasushige -- not a typical Sakai style choil. Longer than almost everyone I've seen

Last edited:
For the yasushige, I owned a nakiri made by them in swedish steel.

Way sharper than heiji and shigefusa ht of swedish. Almost a jump from SK to white steel -- that sort of bitiness jump

They seem to make some of their own knives, some others from other makers, but the yanagi looks like it's made by yasushige
Very interesting! Wish I had a Shig or carbon Heiji around for some testing.

Oh man someone nearby for a change! Not that I can/should spend too much at the moment :) (unless you have some nice spare handles laying around). The Gesshin Ittetsu looks really nice! GLWS

Oh man someone nearby for a change! Not that I can/should spend too much at the moment :) (unless you have some nice spare handles laying around). The Gesshin Ittetsu looks really nice! GLWS
thanks! the Ittetsu is really impressive in hand, fantastic polish and fit and finish. I'm always on the fence about selling it but here we are hahah.

Impressive that the Heiji is only 115 grams. Tempted for sure.
Compared to a Ginga 180mm wa petty that’s 65-70grams with not as long blade. And Heiji has heavier handle. Sounds like thinner nicer one.

Back