Quantcast

Mixing strop compounds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
I made a couple strops, and on one of my balsa strops I have a compound that I am not wild about. I hardly ever use it anymore. Any problem with putting another compound right over it? The compound currently on it is the finest grained compound I have, so the new stuff on top of it would be a lower grit.

Figured might as well try it, better than having a strop I never use.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
How thick is your balsa? If its so much of a pain for you just sand it out.
Or just mix it. Would it really matter?

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Right, what do I have to lose other than a 1/4 teaspoon of compound?

How thick is your balsa? If its so much of a pain for you just sand it out.
Or just mix it. Would it really matter?
1/4". Not sure if it would matter. Gonna find out! Sanding I am weary of, even if it was thicker, because I do not want any particles from what I am sanding with to lodge themselves in the balsa.

SpikeC

Reaction score
Right, what do I have to lose other than a 1/4 teaspoon of compound?

1/4". Not sure if it would matter. Gonna find out! Sanding I am weary of, even if it was thicker, because I do not want any particles from what I am sanding with to lodge themselves in the balsa.
This is a very good point. If you do wish to remove the surface of the balsa, a card scraper would be just the ticket.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
1. Flip the Balsa over?
2. Buy a new balsa, it's like $2.
3. You can sand it down. I cleaned mine up lightly with 2500 grit sandpaper before I loaded them.
4. Just cover it up. The old compound will just make tinier scratches, and their impact will be obscured by the bigger particles.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
The balsa is glued to a wooden base. I have more balsa and more bases, but I would like to make this one useful again. I am sharpening today, I will try adding new compound to it.