Mutsumi Hinoura Aogami Super Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

As stated in the title, I would love to hear your opinions on M. Hinoura AS

Let the truth be told, I am a huge fan of his work and love his Shirogami 2, I am quite familiar with the geometry of his knives

Thanks!

I have a M Hinoura 210 k-tip gyuto in AS that's one of my favourite smaller pointy knives. I will say that I haven't sharpened it yet, but it's got a great edge out of the box and no complaints about edge retention.

I have a Nakiri, likely by him, and while it does not get that much use it's a great knife. As mentioned already it has great edge retention and sharpens beautifully.

His AS is pretty underrated. You can't go wrong with his knife either the AS or White 2.
I don't have any other AS to compare with, better that Takefu stuff but i haven't compared it with Denka or Tanaka AS

I like it. Sharpens well and holds an edge for a long time.

It does feel a little brittle to me though, and some of the damaged blades I have received seems to validate that impression. I remember getting one in for sharpening from a pro chef who was surprised by the chipping - he had a lot of experience with J knives. With Hinoura's thin grinds these blades are not workhorses by any stretch.

If you like Hinoura knives you will appreciate the noticeable improvement in edge retention the AS offers. I personally like Mutsumi's knives, but I don't honestly reach for mine that often.

Back