My collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

pgugger

Reaction score
I'm a home cook who accumulated enough knives lately that it's fair to say I have a collection. I thought I would share it here and update now and then as it evolves. A few years ago, I bought a Masamoto VG as my first Japanese knife, which I found impressive at the time and still use for rougher tasks. Eventually, I learned of even better knives, so i bought a Kurosaki AS and Masakage Koishi, which were far more impressive for both their performance and craftsmanship. Since then, I have been fascinated by trying different styles and makers, especially those with long traditions or interesting stories, but only recently did I really go all in on exploring. Now, I have a small collection, which I hope to expand and then focus over time.

IMG_0414.jpg

From left to right:
Kurosaki R2 Hammered 150 mm petty
Ishikawa W#2 165 mm nakiri
Yoshimune W#1 165 mm nakiri
Kurosaki AS 210 mm gyuto
Konosuke Fujiyama FM B#1 240 mm gyuto
Munetoshi W#2 240 mm gyuto
Masakage Koishi 240 mm gyuto
Konosuke HD2 240 mm gyuto
Toyama Noborikoi B#2 240 mm gyuto
Takeda NAS Medium gyuto
CCK 1303 cleaver
Moritaka AS 130 mm petty

Not shown: Masamoto VG 210 mm gyuto, Dexter 7" heavy-duty cleaver, and Victorinox bread, slicing, and paring knives

I also have a Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi 180 mm gyuto on the way.

khashy

Reaction score
Nice gathering of blades. Which one is your favourite?

pgugger

Reaction score
Nice gathering of blades. Which one is your favourite?
Thanks! My favorites so far are the Konosuke Fujiyama FM and the Toyama - both acquired in the last few weeks. Instantly became favorites. They are both well balanced and match my cutting styles well, even though they are quite different knives. I also still like my Kurosaki AS, and the Takeda and CCK are fun. Still deciding on how I feel about some of the other gyutos, though.

Forsberg

Reaction score
Nice Collection.
The takeda allmost looks like a santoku.
Is the cleaver a veggie cleaver? I'm super curious about those knives. [emoji85]

pgugger

Reaction score
Nice Collection.
The takeda allmost looks like a santoku.
Is the cleaver a veggie cleaver? I'm super curious about those knives. [emoji85]
The Takeda does look like a giant santoku. I think mine is over 250 mm. Its a unique knife but great for food release, chopping, and the height is nice for moving food off the cutting board. It can wedge a bit on hard produce, due to the grind, but that same grind is what makes it excel at food release.

Yes, the cleaver is a veggie cleaver, also great for chopping and doubles as a bench scraper. Really good value too; not very expensive for the quality.

I find both these knives fun to use and recommend them.

Nino-chan

Reaction score
I'm a home cook who accumulated enough knives lately that it's fair to say I have a collection. I thought I would share it here and update now and then as it evolves. A few years ago, I bought a Masamoto VG as my first Japanese knife, which I found impressive at the time and still use for rougher tasks. Eventually, I learned of even better knives, so i bought a Kurosaki AS and Masakage Koishi, which were far more impressive for both their performance and craftsmanship. Since then, I have been fascinated by trying different styles and makers, especially those with long traditions or interesting stories, but only recently did I really go all in on exploring. Now, I have a small collection, which I hope to expand and then focus over time.

View attachment 69097

From left to right:
Kurosaki R2 Hammered 150 mm petty
Ishikawa W#2 165 mm nakiri
Yoshimune W#1 165 mm nakiri
Kurosaki AS 210 mm gyuto
Konosuke Fujiyama FM B#1 240 mm gyuto
Munetoshi W#2 240 mm gyuto
Masakage Koishi 240 mm gyuto
Konosuke HD2 240 mm gyuto
Toyama Noborikoi B#2 240 mm gyuto
Takeda NAS Medium gyuto
CCK 1303 cleaver
Moritaka AS 130 mm petty

Not shown: Masamoto VG 210 mm gyuto, Dexter 7" heavy-duty cleaver, and Victorinox bread, slicing, and paring knives

I also have a Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi 180 mm gyuto on the way.
look at the beast next to the cleaver

pgugger

Reaction score
A few additions over the last month :)

IMG_0555.jpg

Okeya W#2 24 mm wide kogatana
Okamitsu B#1 55 mm ginger knife
Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi no Meito W#1 180 mm gyuto
Shigemitsu Ito Tamahagane 180 mm santoku
Yoshimitsu Tamahagane 165 mm nakiri
Yoshimitsu Tamahagane 210 mm gyuto
Jiro Tsuchime W#1 240 mm gyuto

Clearly, I have taken an interest in tamahagane knives - always impressive when the craftsman makes his own steel! On another note, the Jiro might be in the running for one of my favorites now. Good balance and heft (260 g). Great profile with tall heel, long flat spot, at the back and thin tip. Really nice tagayasan handle. Overall, a work of art and great performer.

I also got rid of the Konosuke HD2, and I am thinking of parting with the Masakage Koishi 240, Masamoto VG 210, Yoshimune nakiri, and Dexter cleaver. Gotta make room for more!