My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know if the knife is coated? I washed it with soap and a brush before using it the first time, and have rinsed it for a long time under hot water. As far as I can see there’s no coating on the steel.

Tried cutting some cooked chicken breast and then rinsing with almost boiling water. Got some results, not blue though!

4FYTdfy.jpg

UwIDdoo.jpg

If you don't use acetone or other method the coating will eventually come off... in your food. If it's carbon and didn't come coated in oil then it has the type coating I'm talking about. Boiling water won't remove it...

If you don't use acetone or other method the coating will eventually come off... in your food. If it's carbon and didn't come coated in oil then it has the type coating I'm talking about. Boiling water won't remove it...

So, acetone on a rag and wipe away?

I looked in the manual that came with the knife from the makers and it just says to wash with dish soap before using the first time, but I guess wiping with acetone can't hurt?

febGNRj.jpg

So, acetone on a rag and wipe away?

I looked in the manual that came with the knife from the makers and it just says to wash with dish soap before using the first time, but I guess wiping with acetone can't hurt?

Correct and it can't hurt anything but the lacquer

So, I wiped it down with acetone. First I cut a mango, and was freaked out by the yellow/orange colours (especially a darker spot) so I removed it woth some baking soda/water slurry. Then I cut up a cooked steak. Turned out pretty cool in my opinion!

VLqNvSq.jpg

6AyvqzA.jpg

3CnBINA.jpg

I have a question. Whenever I thin/polish wide-bevels, they always seem to become more reactive. Why is this, and is it possible to mitigate in some way? For instance, in the picture below are two Munetoshis, purchased at the same time, used approximately in equal parts. I thinned/polished the nakiri (not rid of all the low spots, they are bumpy) about half way in. So the nakiri has actually seen less action than the petty on their current coat. However, as you can see, the petty has a light burnish while the nakiri was used to chop up Pappa Smurf. Alright, alright, exaggeration promotes understanding - but still, there's a substantial difference. How come?

My only real theory is that they are finished with a buffing compound or something before they ship which might make it less "porous" despite having coarser scratches. But I know that my intuitive guesses regarding metal are wrong more often than not.

pCATKf2.jpg

I had the exact opposite experience with the petty. It became a lot less reactive after thinning (but I didn't polish it at all).

Weird. It might be the finer polishing, then. I've had it happen to most other knives I've thinned/polished, this was just the most salient comparison. I had a Moritaka petty where I was almost convinced the cladding was semi-stainless, but which takes patina super quickly after the first major trip on the stones.

I'm not sure what happens, it makes sense that deeper scratches should be more rust prone, like you said.

I would venture to guess the coarser finished still "have" the same patina, just it doesn't show as well because of the coarser finish showing "more" or breaks the appearance of it.. That the coarser finish is a little more rust prone doesn't matter in this case I think due to good care.

This is another example of what I'm talking about. The santoku has been used sparingly over a few months and chopped a few onions just before the picture. The petty just chopped a few onions before the picture. The difference, especially on the cladding is immense. They are both Moritaka knives, same line. And the santoku isn't even as rough as the Munetoshi. I have no idea what causes this.

LvnJtuf.jpg

Mizuno KS profile W#2 Honyaki after making a huge batch of pico de gallo. This is by far the coolest patina that I have ever gotten!!!

q8asWzG.jpg

kMDVhpI.jpg

Mizuno KS profile W#2 Honyaki after making a huge batch of pico de gallo. This is by far the coolest patina that I have ever gotten!!!

q8asWzG.jpg

kMDVhpI.jpg

Oh hell yes! Something about a white 2 honyaki.

Specs on both

Sorry, I usually don't have anything to contribute to this thread so I never check it...

Migaki (now my favorite)
Length: 220mm
Height: 50mm
Weight: 6.49oz / 184g

KU
Length: 214mm
Height: 50mm
Weight: 6oz / 170g

They're both crazy good knives. So glad I saw Preizzo's IG post with his migaki. Kinda wish I woulda sprung for the 220 in the KU as well. Love the feel in the hand with the thicker spine and superb D-shaped handles. Edges are primo, as well!

And I on the contrary love polished knives, they are easier to pass into the product.

Kinda wish I woulda sprung for the 220 in the KU as well. Love the feel in the hand with the thicker spine and superb D-shaped handles. Edges are primo, as well!

So the KU is lighter but still has a thicker spine?

Back