My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have posted these before, but never in this thread:

DT Mystery Carbon:
IMG_1249.jpg

J.Jones Cleaver:
DSC_2220.jpg

My first attempt at forcing a patina. Stephan Fowler gyuto, above the Mario Gyuto.

DSC_2226.jpg

When I first started reading this forum I was in love with this thread. I have been wanting to post a pic.

When I got this one to turn blue I wasn't even trying. I pulled a piece of chicken off the grill with the blade, and cut. I am not sure if I blued the blade itself or the patina just came out this way.

IMG_20120509_004251.jpgIMG_20120509_004346.jpgIMG_20120509_004426.jpg

sorry for the bad cell phone pic. I'm having problems with my main comp. atm. I broke the tip off about a mo. ago, I fixed the tip last night and these are before pics. I will show a after pic when she gets back from getting new shoes.:helicop:

This is my Tanaka 150 err 145 petty I got off of ebay. (not all of my ebay buys has been bad, thank god.:bat:

Ahh I love people who embrace the beauty of rust, or as the Japanese called it wabi-sabi.

Ahh I love people who embrace the beauty of rust, or as the Japanese called it wabi-sabi.
lol, funny one Mari

Nice pics Iceman. what were you cutting? Only reason I ask is because, it looks like some bad rust on the beginning and end of the motion.

Rader 10 inch gyuto. Wish i knew how to imbed pics.

Using Flickr: Navigate to your photo and click on the "Actions" drop down menu and choose "view all sizes". I usually pick a medium size like 500. Click your desired size, then right click in the photo and choose "copy image address". Paste this URL in the Insert Image menu on the forum and uncheck the box that reads "retrieve remote file and reference locally". Upload and you are done. Easy peasy. :hatsoff:

lol, funny one Mari

Nice pics Iceman. what were you cutting? Only reason I ask is because, it looks like some bad rust on the beginning and end of the motion.

The most recent things i cut were pineapple and some pork loin. That isn't rust, but the pineapple gave it a darker and yellowish patina, which does look like rust in the pics but not in person.

Mike

Daaaamn, Dave's O1 takes the most electric blue/purple patina I've ever seen.

Maxim sent me a knife with directly orders to use and abuse it at work :D so i did, i had never heard about it or seen it before, it´s a Kato 150mm Petty.

great knife to use in pro kitchen i have to say, i liked it a lot, and after a couple of hours it got some patina.

it´s a iphone picture so the quality is not the best

foto2.jpg

foto3.jpg

foto.jpg

Chef that looks like you held the back end over the burner for a few min. Very nice.

I should go ahead and put this in the archive before I forget.

2012-05-29%252015.28.10.jpg

Mike Davis Gyuto, one day of use. W2.

Beef blood?

Yes sir, put a coating of beef blood on it then wrapped it in plastic wrap for 10-15 minutes. It didn't take to the rest of the blade that had a solid natural patina going so its only on the heel and bolster

Mike

What a great thread,enjoyed going through it,some of the forced patina's look good.

That looks awesome, i really dig how you did that.

Thanks Mike, im trying to decide if i want to clean off the natural patina and force the beef blood patina on the whole blade. I like them both!

Back