My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s very cool! Are they any different from the ashis available from Blueway on EBay? I’m tempted to get a petty-suji just based on that post
I honestly don't know. I've owned a 210 Gesshin petty in the past and currently own a 210 Ashi petty, and while I can't do a side by side comparison I feel like the Gesshin was a little stiffer and had better F&F... but that could just be wild nostalgia bias, because I *loved* that Gesshin and can't imagine reality actually living up to my addled memory.

I honestly don't know. I've owned an 210 Gesshin petty in the past and currently own a 210 Ashi petty, and while I can't do a side by side comparison I feel like the Gesshin was a little stiffer and had better F&F... but that could just be wild nostalgia bias, because I *loved* that Gesshin and can't imagine reality actually living up to my addled memory.
One day I hope to experience that feeling induced by use of a a knife, or any possession! I’d better get one then

And after the hot pork slicing
IMG_1279.jpeg
IMG_1281.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg

Well, I kinda lied. The blue is mostly from pickled radish, but its stable enough to stay blue after a pineapple I cut.

Now the magic patina I believe comes from peeling mangoes, I get blues, purples, and even greens from those and it's fantastic. Waiting for mango season to come by again.
all my carbon knives turn my mango black...does that happen to the mangos you cut?

all my carbon knives turn my mango black...does that happen to the mangos you cut?
It does leave black residue on the mangos if the blade has no existing patina on it. That happens a lot less when there's already a healthy layer of patina there.

It does leave black residue on the mangos if the blade has no existing patina on it. That happens a lot less when there's already a healthy layer of patina there.
I agree with less. Mine with quite a bit of patina still stain my mangos…so I stop using carbon for mangos. guess not sufficient amount of patina is the issue. I also have the same issue with white sweet potatoes for some reason

I agree with less. Mine with quite a bit of patina still stain my mangos…so I stop using carbon for mangos. guess not sufficient amount of patina is the issue. I also have the same issue with white sweet potatoes for some reason
Just out of curiosity, what carbon steel are you using with that kinda reactivity?

Just out of curiosity, what carbon steel are you using with that kinda reactivity?
I didn’t keep any records but I have tried multiple carbon knives in the past with decent amount patina I would say. I have mango and white sweet potatoes on hand. Maybe I will post some pictures tomorrow or on Monday.

The return of the rainbow patina. I've been using this Shi.han cutting limes for the past week and I'm still surprised cutting mangoes afterwards can still produce these shades of purple, red, orange and blue.

View attachment 313108
Very cool patina, Not sure if your shihan is 52100 as well, mine will take a patina but seems to be not very reactive, so even onion, garlic and fruit cutting will still produce some blue hue instead of the usual dull grey/orange patina like on my ironclad kagekiyo.

Very cool patina, Not sure if your shihan is 52100 as well, mine will take a patina but seems to be not very reactive, so even onion, garlic and fruit cutting will still produce some blue hue instead of the usual dull grey/orange patina like on my ironclad kagekiyo.
It is 52100, the monosteel takes some of these most vivid colors I've ever seen. If I was a polisher, I could make so the banding is visible underneath the patina too.

Some of these are pretty handsome, but frankly taking a natural process such as patination and turning it into an obsession via week-long bouts of lime-slicing seem a tad freaky to me. Do you imagine any professional chefs do this sort of thing?

Some of these are pretty handsome, but frankly taking a natural process such as patination and turning it into an obsession via week-long bouts of lime-slicing seem a tad freaky to me. Do you imagine any professional chefs do this sort of thing?
I'm 100% non discriminatory with what I cut, random hodgepodge of vegetables and I end up with nice blue patinas. It doesn't have to mean sticking your knife in hot proteins and letting it sit, or picking one ingredient.

Back