My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of these are pretty handsome, but frankly taking a natural process such as patination and turning it into an obsession via week-long bouts of lime-slicing seem a tad freaky to me. Do you imagine any professional chefs do this sort of thing?
I cut lime because I enjoy limenade and mangoes because it's becoming in season and it's a personal favorite. None of this is purely for patina, let's avoid calling it an obsession, shall we?

Some of these are pretty handsome, but frankly taking a natural process such as patination and turning it into an obsession via week-long bouts of lime-slicing seem a tad freaky to me. Do you imagine any professional chefs do this sort of thing?
When I first got into carbon knives, I wasted *countless* company hours playing with forced patinas. Like I was running the dang restaurant, and still finding time to be like "ooooooh okay, let's dab limes on it, leave it for a few hours, then paint tiger stripes with brown mustard, then polish cross stripes with bkf on a cork and thin slice medium rare ribeye and let it sit....."

I've long since given up on forcing patinas, but I assure you professional chefs do in fact do it. As long as you're flexible with how professional the professional is. 😉

Last edited:
After a few meals at home

IMG_0042.png
IMG_0043.png

I'm 100% non discriminatory with what I cut, random hodgepodge of vegetables and I end up with nice blue patinas. It doesn't have to mean sticking your knife in hot proteins and letting it sit, or picking one ingredient.
Me too. Any blue patina is au naturelle and completely arbitrary, being the result of numerous dinner preps, mostly vegetable based.
And the last thing you want to do is slicing through lime with a carbon clad blade.

The kanji is unreal
Indeed, the kanji on the Kawachi knives (the 210 and 240 gyutos that I own at least) are particularly pronounced, boldly hand-chiseled. It was extreme on the 240, compared by a forum member (sorry, I don't remember who exactly) to a "ginger grater", which is a perfect analogy! To the extent that I took advantage of a finger stones polishing session to "round the edges" and make handling more comfortable! It's not only an amazing looker but also a great performer!

Back