My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good eye Chanop! This is the second microbevel I have ever done on a single bevel.

In hindsight I should have microbeveled the edge before my first use, I had some very very tiny micro-chipping after my first use - so I went back and gave it a microbevel with my nakayama namito.

Stabilized the edge significantly.

Nice, did I see a tiny micro bevel there?

I have to deal with the same thing. I keep all my crap in a separate room with the dehumidifier working 24/7 but still the rust eraser gets a good workout here.
This climate is murder on carbons so I try to get patina going asap, mostly by cutting cooked proteins. Tried various force methods but never liked the results, with one exception and I don't recommend this because it's very hard to reverse. I found that a good coat of Naval Jelly leaves a very dark grey/black finish that's uglier than Hell but does keep the rust problem at bay. Essential that you tape the edge though.

I am sorry if these questions have been already answered elsewhere:

Does a forced patina also make the knife less reactive to onions, tomates etc in terms of giving off an metallic flavour to the food being cut? Cooked meat sounds good for this purpose?

Is it harder to force a patina after a natural patina is already on it’s way? I.e. should one absolutely force away directly?

Masamoto 240 KS that I use mainly as a slicer

0564F7EA-CB5C-4B08-B4E7-405B0A1187AC_zps0zfsgvyl.jpg

2F487925-0484-4074-AB89-4B59FB0651FE_zpsprr8bacj.jpg

I have to deal with the same thing. I keep all my crap in a separate room with the dehumidifier working 24/7 but still the rust eraser gets a good workout here.
This climate is murder on carbons so I try to get patina going asap, mostly by cutting cooked proteins. Tried various force methods but never liked the results, with one exception and I don't recommend this because it's very hard to reverse. I found that a good coat of Naval Jelly leaves a very dark grey/black finish that's uglier than Hell but does keep the rust problem at bay. Essential that you tape the edge though.

I have tried building a very nice blue patina on a few knives. Unfortunately when I get rid of the rust the patina or at least part of it, must go as well. I don't go through enough protein to get past the problem apparently, even trying to "force" a bit more whenever I do something like flank steak or the like. I probably need to force a bit to get ahead of the game. I do have a nice start on a Ginrei petty by using it as a steak knife (wood plate), but need to concentrate on a couple others. Hmmm.....more steak :)

I am building up strength level on this chuka. It has been a joy to use :laugh:

LbIEC7wBs0Nmc57Cn_Ztuv9DRC49GDpYKZnWjntdCxr_9cAPjN-Px7GZ3tqLeVU-gbgwJifMol_KD1c9qVycQKIt-7BHnVVaDkeYcK-Ys6zQHQfWt_ucXrzkFF5dS_tFsgPF8QWSt5z7Lkx5CRH3MHkxcJ_xbkGjms-VBVgDkxfIdQC1KR5I4bDQJV8JuChOeswgudHlO2HdYvjf4PGTGRDEHlnaQTJfEBc5F5nGgRqy24i5YWxKo0S5T4cMXLFtFE0Mul5lVV_gnEmzftnm-ujEUAzMhir2ZN0UgofXYTTEZf4J1mD2Xz55JfJClMCrVflFjxw10TejwfmrZWdGh5aOayJuLyZ5zplZwSIwtO2ZA5LPJtG-mMPCgYnJ3-_28lUIjI9ztawKuyfoQURFaIVz9VE99BTGOdIyulo5b24MltyJk1MjNynWUvBjN9Zzhhuj5JijxzWd2WrTOMH31FSdL_3zhkQJbhsPrFc_w6zKOGojLIqS6h9uMGYL_XjEnn_BfwPlkLWdp7NmzKtNOfk5GO719jrUrSvryKw5jny6s6hr6qII5GbSyRufRD9A0vC6VxlkE52i0Ws4uCmNIKkxQ9jU6mfY=s1280

TO0gmtH6V2tfB__PWYmUkwPoaGSzjIoDtNW_-Ow_Mesk1jLDHJcc_jdKEEq1gnQmD_21VxcWj3KpsjY2plgSSOtDPz5ALpawKSDRwrlRMYPpsGnt22pv6HHXEy2qv39tMwxHeqpZcTFydjpEmIEIHjMZEfxcr9pL8GuV3WNcN9JzrF4mJ6bJVlu0e6l8DOhvEzOfaU-KByFcLW5H6tG5xTmlaDFNvqk2MJflRcEKXFOC5k8-jvACoCLCvG_FJC418kzZzK9EYy0kgXSXCxjQOHpIZnsf5AywobH7UYo6PfhpkjF1D7M-zbHyO4MUI1hdeGTIhYRdf_YXD5w4gDvE6hdHW9KDuUptGYRGuBeX9AXmE0lMvXp44qCKEQvZW5Na84RTvN_MTvmWeyPpZilYVI1m7V33StRgyYNAoA82D_54rdJeHQi8Eu8C1JW23fZQJBstU5oGk-5kmBT05qvXblmzI1RpbdAsZGgRLRY6JB9RQZDW9-szviZzbIfBFmhIWAg4w3MFJN0vIpNUjjQbGmRiwhoyn2mJ_s0PP9OXAV7CUCJw9VhNUaYMYEhXtj_QW6uziAytCBuBKJbDlasiSPhdiNl7h7OF=s1280

That Shige Chuka looks awesome.

Btw where did you get it and how much did it go for?

It was from Maxim. Price probably will vary a bit from time to time, but it was a bit north of a yo 240 kitaeji gyuto.

It was from Maxim. Price probably will vary a bit from time to time, but it was a bit north of a yo 240 kitaeji gyuto.

Very nice. I just signed up for his list. So hopefully I'll run into one at some point!

Oh that's an awesome engraving. Like to see some close up shots
Not ordered yet but the next should be a deba kintaro ame with this engraving.

for now I only have "simple" engravings like this Salvador Dali's Meditative Rose with an inserted diamant as raindrop and an other rose on this sabaki
fotos kostenlos
but still no patina on this one ;-)

Has anyone a recipe for pink/red/orange patina?
I'd like to force the blue a bit more and have the the engraved rose in a warmer color for the contrast.

Is there anything worse for a patina than pineapple? Right when I've got a nice natural oilslick patina, I dice up a couple pineapples and bam, instantly grey and grungy. :viking:

I knew when I had 50kg of mangalitsa to dice for sausage today was gonna be a good day :doublethumbsup:
The most intense patina I've ever seen in the flesh, that shig cladding is unreal stuff.

Only a little bit here. Not really a patina person but it's neat when it makes a nice contrast.
5fNSLMr.jpg

Wow, some of these pics look stunning. Is blue steel just more vibrant than white generally? I may have to get a honyaki now instead of carbon clad.

Wow, some of these pics look stunning. Is blue steel just more vibrant than white generally? I may have to get a honyaki now instead of carbon clad.
I do not see a significant difference in patina between different low-alloy steels.

You mean the cladding or core steels? Cladding is usually soft iron, no?

Back