My knives, Markin Andrei.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, again a couple of classic boring knives, but the photos turned out to be beautiful and I want to share them🙂.
The steel on the blades is stainless sanmai with a central layer of K390 64HRC steel.
Handles in stabilized birch burl, brass and African blackwood spacers. The size of the blades is gyuto 220 / 50mm. petty 150 / 30mm.

I want to introduce you to another cleaver.
Blade 200/101 / 3mm. ШХ-15/52100 63HRC symmetric convex, cutting edge thickness 15 hundredths of a millimeter.
The handle is made of stabilized oak root and pin. The weight of this knife is 338g.
I love such projects because of their complexity, I have to solve a number of non-standard tasks and I like it, I’m probably crazy 😀.

There are no problems with sharpening such steel, although I know that there are myths that it is very difficult to sharpen "high-alloy cast iron" such as Rex121, S125V and the like. In fact, anyone who knows how to sharpen their knives on their own can handle the sharpening of such a knife. Yes, such steel has its own nuances in sharpening, it needs to be sharpened about one and a half to two times longer than VG10, also not all natural stones will cope with such steel. The result is an aggressive cut and long edge retention.

Seeing this post, I have to share my experience with this craftsman.

The knife pictured here was a custom order that Mr. Markin did for me. I have to say that the process was awesome, from the discussion of dimensions, selection of materials, discussion of the grind etc., Andrei was nothing but great with communication and I received the knife earlier than expected. The knife is a ШХ-15 (52100 equivalent) gyuto with a slight s-grind and he absolutely nailed it in terms of dimensions, grind and everything I asked for. If that wasn't enough, the banding (which I wasn't expecting based on another knife I have by him with the same steel - from a pass around a couple years back) looks absolutely amazing. I've only done a few test cuts and one meal prep before going out of town on vacation, but I can't say enough how much I love this knife, so much so that the only other knife I have that I would put on par with it is a 260mm Kamon gyuto.

Mr. Markin, you've definitely gained a repeat customer here.

Chiming in here,

I bought one of Andrei's nakiris and it's impeccable (finish, grind, heat treat, thoughtfulness). I put an edge on it this past week for the first time and used it all day for veg heavy prep/service on a 20 person event I put on and it was a joy to use. Much appreciate the work and I hope I'll get to give it a good bit of use over the years even though I'm no longer in the restaurant world.

Thank you, I could not wish for the best praise. It is always pleasant for me to know that I made exactly the knife that a person wanted, I don’t know why this is so important to me. And when customers sell my knife a month after they received it, or they say that they rarely use it, I get upset.
Many of us buy too many knives, no reflection on your excellent work if someone sells.

Thank you, I could not wish for the best praise. It is always pleasant for me to know that I made exactly the knife that a person wanted, I don’t know why this is so important to me. And when customers sell my knife a month after they received it, or they say that they rarely use it, I get upset.

My rotation consists of 3 of your gyuto along with the aforementioned 260mm Kamon, a production Kamon (gen 1), a 180mm wanchana S-grind nakiri and a Takeda bunka. The only Markin knife I have that is going anywhere is one I purchased as a gift that I will give my uncle the next time I seem him.

I have to agree with Barmoley here. I picked up another of your works from BST and the seller had nothing but praise for it, simply noting that they needed to downsize the knife collection (which often seems to be to stay out of trouble with the lady... 🤔). I'm glad they sold it as it's a contrast to the other two ШХ-15 knives and I assure you I've added to the patina substantially and the knife will be pried from my cold dead hands.

Cheers!

I also have had nothing but positive experiences with Andrei's knives, and have had 3 now. First was a buy off BST, second was a custom filleting knife as a gift for my Dad (which Andrei nailed, and even improved on my sketches) and last one was a 52100 gyuto bought from here which is great. Fit and finish is great, the steel is great, and they are just fun to use. I plan to get more

Hello everyone, again a couple of classic boring knives, but the photos turned out to be beautiful and I want to share them🙂.
The steel on the blades is stainless sanmai with a central layer of K390 64HRC steel.
Handles in stabilized birch burl, brass and African blackwood spacers. The size of the blades is gyuto 220 / 50mm. petty 150 / 30mm.

Wow I love these. Do you coat your handles with anything to finish them, or just sanding?

Wow I love these. Do you coat your handles with anything to finish them, or just sanding?
Thank you, I grind the handle to 2000-2500grit and then coat it with tung oil. Except for wood that does not need oiling, such as African blackwood, Ironwood and the like, as well as stabilized wood. After the oil has polymerized, I cover the handle with several layers of shellac, I like this natural varnish, although it rinses off after a while. For those who do not like varnish, it is enough to wipe the handle with alcohol, and for those who like such a coating, it is very easy to update it and keep the handle in perfect condition at all times.

Last edited:
Again petty, there will be a lot of them this fall 🙂.
The blade is made of damaskus sanmai with a central layer of REX121 67HRC steel, blade size 165 / 39mm. Blade geometry symmetrical convex.
The handle is made of interesting Mokume, titanium is in a brass matrix, African blackwood.
Saya are also made from African blackwood, brass pin.

This is my knife! It took a while to show up in the mail but I am extremely happy with it. Andrei did everything I asked and I love the 52100 analog (I have another knife from Andrei in this steel).

I gave him a choice of cleaver profiles and I'm glad he went with this. Really easy to push cut with first or final third of the knife, as well as use the middle third-- bellies not too big. Balance is also on point.

Thanks, Andrei!

This is my knife! It took a while to show up in the mail but I am extremely happy with it. Andrei did everything I asked and I love the 52100 analog (I have another knife from Andrei in this steel).

I gave him a choice of cleaver profiles and I'm glad he went with this. Really easy to push cut with first or final third of the knife, as well as use the middle third-- bellies not too big. Balance is also on point.

Thanks, Andrei!
Would love to see this in action. Can you put up a video?

They look amazing Andrei! 😱
Brilliant work 💪

Back