My Stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 7-layer san mai is missing. Just saying.

Best,
Mack.

A 7-layer san mai is missing. Just saying.

Best,
Mack.

Yes indeed. That’s no. 9 that I’m waiting to receive. Benjamin is freshening it up. Super pumped to get that one in as well

Well then no. 10 has to be a 5-layer san mai with non stainless mild steel cladding. He did a few at the beginning of his career, don't think he does those anymore.

Impressive collection btw.

Mack.

Well then no. 10 has to be a 5-layer san mai with non stainless mild steel cladding. He did a few at the beginning of his career, don't think he does those anymore.

Impressive collection btw.

Mack.

I wish he did. Those were pretty nice. Maybe he’ll make a few down the road. Sounds like he may have a few new ideas baking up for 2021. Curious what he has in store

@marc4pt0 , I've been out of the knife game for a while and just getting back into it, wow what a collection! Question about Kamon's unique handles, are they take down handles, as in... you can unscrew them and remove the tang from the handle?

@marc4pt0 , I've been out of the knife game for a while and just getting back into it, wow what a collection! Question about Kamon's unique handles, are they take down handles, as in... you can unscrew them and remove the tang from the handle?

Yes, you can actually (and easily) remove the handles.
His knives are hand made, so each one varies accordingly. I did switch handles on 2 Kamon knives that were almost identical in tang size and length. That was just luck of the draw though.

Yes, you can actually (and easily) remove the handles.
His knives are hand made, so each one varies accordingly. I did switch handles on 2 Kamon knives that were almost identical in tang size and length. That was just luck of the draw though.

I love the idea of the take down handle, a lot of blade smiths have been doing this for years with hunters and Bowie knives. I think it's a great idea to adapt it to kitchen knives for ease of blade repair, polishing, etc. Awesome, thanks for answering the question!

Last edited:
I love the idea of the take down handle, a lot of blade smiths have been doing this for years with hunters and Bowie knives. I think it's a great idea adapt it to kitchen knives for easy of blade repair, polishing, etc.
Ben has also made knives with multiple handles for customers, so one can change handle size, material, weight etc.
I'm ordering one handle with three different blades so I can tell wifey that it's just one knife...

The Whacky Honyaki Group, or the Slammon Hamon Gang:

D9B2C77C-6666-4C54-BDD5-30A1B8D017FA.jpeg
E5A87A42-1547-495A-893E-A49A24271530.jpeg

Senor Marc - couldn't that Mareko wootz blade you have be viewed at as Honyaki? Just curious ... not part of the hamon gang obiously .. but honyaki ...

That sparks the question “what is a true honyaki”, but I don’t think the Mareko would be considered. The wootz is a proprietary blend (made by his shop mate I believe), not a mono steel.

That sparks the question “what is a true honyaki”, but I don’t think the Mareko would be considered. The wootz is a proprietary blend (made by his shop mate I believe), not a mono steel.

Not sure of any steel that couldn't be considered a blend though ... I get that particular Wootz (especially w/ the add'n of chromium for the semi-stainless property his dragon forge brethren made it) is likely out of the running ... still would like me some Mareko Wootz though ...

TjA

Not sure of any steel that couldn't be considered a blend though ... I get that particular Wootz (especially w/ the add'n of chromium for the semi-stainless property his dragon forge brethren made it) is likely out of the running ... still would like me some Mareko Wootz though ...

TjA
Is it differentially heat treated? If it is semi stainless that means it has considerable amount of chrome and is most likely air hardening steel.

I have. These pics are when I first got it last June. It’s only seen about 30 minutes of use, and that was about a month ago.
This knife looks like it's fun ans pleasant to use. Anything special ?

Here’s one that holds a dear spot for me. @ejd53 and @HHHKnives hosted an extremely kind giveaway back in 2013. Out of sheer luck my #44 post was drawn to win. This was announced on a rather extremely important day in my life, the same day my first daughter was born. That night, after the chaos in the hospital, I finally laid down on that rather uncomfortable couch to finally catch some rest and sleep. Pulled out my trusty phone to peak into kkf before passing out. That’s when I found out I won this badass blade. Needless to say it took me a while before I could fall asleep.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tuxedo-gyuto.11921/
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/new-giveaway-trust-me-you-want-to-be-in-this-one.11918/

HHH Tuxedo gyuto by Randy Haas sporting real pre-prohibition ivory. A knife that my oldest daughter knows she’s inheriting once she’s able to wield it.

35FCB374-F56B-4D77-B8DA-FA9472513392.jpeg
9A28D1EE-BB93-43C3-94B3-BCDF015EFE4C.jpeg
3D67377E-3301-455A-972E-2D41F035E14F.jpeg
26151D50-6C44-4A57-BEFC-6A9AD56FBCE8.jpeg
79BEA5E5-5FBE-4A71-B1F1-1D5954D04BB3.jpeg
6216A571-6C5F-4B78-A8F0-42795BDB98C9.jpeg
B4644B41-495C-4777-BA09-DFD4CA5DB1E4.jpeg
D668397E-1339-413E-9A7B-71ED9B25ED61.jpeg
523E4E87-8D15-4655-BE5F-6A3786C1EF6F.jpeg
0CD7B5DF-B09E-4EF0-992C-258422661962.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s one that holds a dear spot for me. @ejd53 and @HHHKnives hosted an extremely kind giveaway back in 2013. Out of sheer luck my #44 post was drawn to win. This was announced on a rather extremely important day in my life, the same day my first daughter was born. That night, after the chaos in the hospital, I finally laid down on that rather uncomfortable couch to finally catch some rest and sleep. Pulled out my trusty phone to peak into kkf before passing out. That’s when I found out I won this badass blade. Needless to say it took me a while before I could fall asleep.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tuxedo-gyuto.11921/
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/new-giveaway-trust-me-you-want-to-be-in-this-one.11918/

HHH Tuxedo gyuto by Randy Haas sporting real pre-prohibition ivory. A knife that my oldest daughter knows she’s inheriting once she’s able to wield it.

View attachment 110193View attachment 110194View attachment 110195View attachment 110196View attachment 110197View attachment 110198View attachment 110199View attachment 110200View attachment 110201View attachment 110202
View attachment 110193

Hell of a story, Marc, that’s a gods are good kind of day.

May I offer my firstborn son to
wed your daughter so that maybe one day I could inherit that knife before I’m to old and weak to wield such a thing.

pure beauty and a beast

Back