My take on Masamoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine, you can have it. All I ask for, in return is a Mizuno...that's all :D

That actually doesn't sound too bad! Haha

That's a good looking blade.......now get back to work:biggrin:

Some pics of my knives I made.

There is slight difference in profile, grind and weight on both knives. One weighs 213g (with handle) and the other 230g. The balance point on the lighter one is at the handle, and the heavier over the heel.

Making these knives gave me a good idea where I need to improve and do things differently. Though I m pleased with the outcome, I am still a few knives away before offering any for sale.

Next step is to make a couple of knives in different steels and send them for testing and feedback.

PS: The one with patina I am keeping. :)

DSC_1754.jpg

DSC_1756.jpg

DSC_1757.jpg

DSC_1760.jpg

DSC_1761.jpg

DSC_1762.jpg

Excellent work, you should feel pretty good about these.

I will send out several knives for testing and feedback. There will be two different heat-treatment for 52100, and there are two new steels I will try.

This week, I will only do heat treating and work on custom orders (sayas and handles). You guys have a lot of patience but it is probably wearing thin.

M

excellent job Marko, i really like that masamoto profile. can't wait to hear for the testing and the feedback on that.

those look great, Marko! i'd love to test drive one of them.

Beautiful stuff Marko! Why does my knife have a big stain on it like that? ;) I guess that means I get a discount, right? :poke1::poke1:

Both of these are not for sale at this time. :) The one with the stain I am keeping (using it for the second day and still like it) the other one I am going to send to couple of pro members here for evaluation and feedback. If all goes well, I should offer pre-orders as of next months. The first few orders will be discounted.

M
PS: suji is next.

i'm a pro. admittedly the stuff i'm a pro in is sciencingy, and not cookingy, but it should still count! :)

Mr. Drinky likey very much. Great work Marko; and I can't wait to hear the feedback.

Will the feedback go directly to you, or will there be a open thread?

k.

I am not completely unfamiliar with kitchen knives :) so the knives I make reflect my personal preferences which have been built on handling and analyzing knives from different makers over time. In other words, this is my interpretation of what makes a good kitchen knife for me. However, people's preferences are different, so I want a quick feedback on sharpening, edge retention, profile and geometry. I would like to limit sending the first couple of knives to one-two people to expedite things. After than, I will do a formal pass-around, and everybody is welcome to try it and post their impressions.

I will have a sign-up sheet in a week or two.

M

Not sure if i missed it, but have you mentioned a ballpark price on these? They look amazing, would love a meiji handle on one.

Not sure if i missed it, but have you mentioned a ballpark price on these? They look amazing, would love a meiji handle on one.

I haven't determined the prices yet, but rest assure they will be competitively priced. Also, despite my relatively recent entry into knife making, expect top notch quality - no wabi-sabi here (in my book it's an excuse for a poor workmanship).

M

The great thing about Marko's knives, you get this really cool looking handle that comes with it's own blade. :biggrin:

Good to hear, Marko. I will be in NYC around august 20th. What are the chances you will have some available by then?

Mike

Pretty good chance. I need about two weeks to get enough feedback to start working on knives for sale.

M

Latest posts

Back