Nakiri Recommendation?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBrewster

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Nakiri

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese preferred

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 160-180mm (open to advise)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) All Veg

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Currently do everything with a 240 or 210mm gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push, sometimes chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Maximimum flat spot, also just want something different

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not super important to me

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Open to advice

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Good food release a big plus

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Not super important, I'm at home

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) End grain or synthetic cutting boards

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
This is my first nakiri and it's for home use only. Cosmetics aren't that important to me. would like something that's not too difficult to sharpen and preferably not super reactive.

Mazaki KU is a good choice, however, it is both longer (195mm) and taller (over 60mm) than your regular 165/50 Nakiri. However the Mazaki is not heavy in the hand because of the awesome distal taper, and feels more nimble in hand than it looks. The profile is also a tad diffrent from your other Sanjo nakiri; the Mazaki has a significant "bow" shape, I cant tell you if I love it or not but it sure is better for horizontal cuts. I cant compare directly to a Munetoshi nakiri as I dont have one, but w2 v w2 steel the Mazaki feels a bit softer than Mune. The "make you smile" factor (I feel thats super important for a Nakiri): only a Shigefusa and Heiji Nakiri puts a bigger smile on my face

I hate to recommend something that is out of stock, but I still enjoy my Kochi nakiri. I have not used one from Watanbe, but the Kochi just glides thru everything. The carbon runs $200 and the stainless clad $215, at least when they were last in stock.

Yu Kurosaki Aogami Super Nakiri has me satisfied. The price is unbelievable aswell.

Watanabe Pro 180mm. The mother of all Nakiri.

Shoot me a pm if you want to try one on.

+9 not my favorite knife but one of em. Best steel in the drawer that's for sure .

I hate to recommend something that is out of stock, but I still enjoy my Kochi nakiri. I have not used one from Watanbe, but the Kochi just glides thru everything. The carbon runs $200 and the stainless clad $215, at least when they were last in stock.
The kochi nakiri I own is the only nakiri I've ever tried. It's so good I've never been tempted to try another, not even the watanbe that gets so much praise around here. It really does just fall through food.

The other thing keeping me from wanting to try another nakiri is that I never use mine, opting for a gyuto every time.

Geshin Ginga Cleaver....because forum members don't let forum members purchase nakiri knives.
The 210 toyama nakiri might change your mind. It's aaaa beast!

Back