Nanohone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me say that the outset that I am a Murray Carter fan. I own several of his knives and will probably buy more in the future. Though I have sharpened knives for about 60 years I have bought, studied and learned from Murray’s sharpening videos and YouTube posts. Learning from him has definitely improved my skills. I looked on his conversion to Nano Hone with confusion. It seemed to go against many things he taught.

I just watched his newest video on his conversion to nano hone. Nothing he said in the video convinced me that his conversion was anything more than attempting to improve profits through paid testimonials for a commercial enterprise. It wasn’t the same as being told there was no Santa Claus ... but close. He also alluded to his upcoming enterprise of Murray Carter Signature Series Spyderco Kitchen Knives. Yikes ... I hope Murray realizes that what he is doing to his brand is much more dangerous than the most recent Food Network Chef is doing to their brand by branding a line of kitchen knives or pots and pans.

Maybe he is following in Kramer’s footsteps.

I don’t know but I know I won’t be changing my sharpening gear to nano hone any time soon and I doubt that any of the expert sharpeners here on KKF will either. I also doubt that many nano hone purchasers will be buying Murray’s $1000 plus knives any time soon. Time will tell.

Let me say that the outset that I am a Murray Carter fan. I own several of his knives and will probably buy more in the future. Though I have sharpened knives for about 60 years I have bought, studied and learned from Murray’s sharpening videos and YouTube posts. Learning from him has definitely improved my skills. I looked on his conversion to Nano Hone with confusion. It seemed to go against many things he taught.

I just watched his newest video on his conversion to nano hone. Nothing he said in the video convinced me that his conversion was anything more than attempting to improve profits through paid testimonials for a commercial enterprise. It wasn’t the same as being told there was no Santa Claus ... but close. He also alluded to his upcoming enterprise of Murray Carter Signature Series Spyderco Kitchen Knives. Yikes ... I hope Murray realizes that what he is doing to his brand is much more dangerous than the most recent Food Network Chef is doing to their brand by branding a line of kitchen knives or pots and pans.

Maybe he is following in Kramer’s footsteps.

I don’t know but I know I won’t be changing my sharpening gear to nano hone any time soon and I doubt that any of the expert sharpeners here on KKF will either. I also doubt that many nano hone purchasers will be buying Murray’s $1000 plus knives any time soon. Time will tell.
He lost me a long time ago.

WOW...just watched the video... he's trying very hard to justify it... I fear he's jumped the shark...

Definitely damage control going on...

“Instead of promoting a generic product that would never recognize my faithful endorsement of over 30 years…” (3:1:cool:.

King (1000, 6000)

Last edited:
Disapointed!
Used to watch this guy sharpen knifes on newspaper or an old beaten down king stone and i really appreciated his enthusiasm and honesty.
What corporate ******** does to a man...strips him bare of identity reading a speach written by PR advisor with words he can't even digest, trying to make a positive of a nasty situation. Employing cheaper labor to make knives he signs as his own...or partnering with mass producing corporations which just want to brand products with his name, i guess he went a long way from that small shop where he was pouring soul in his work. The only way forward i see is for him, is to open a factory in China and say he is sharing his knowledge with even more people helping their community and familly.

Well he ist learning, maybe not very fast needing 30 years to figure out King 1/6k is not the best stone in the world :D

Regards

Uwe

He basically says, a company that's willing to throw money at him respect him for using their product, he's willing to work with. ;);)

Making money with his work ist nothing bad i think.

But allways shouting out his stuff is perfekt and the best, is kind of suspicius for me, as is also telling people he is innovative making 30 years the same stuff with the same steel, same HT and same sharpening stone and compares this with the innovation level of the modern automotive industry :D

He even wants to tell us making half tang like on 3$ kinves is an innovation ;)

Saying half tang saves steel and time an selling them for maybe 50$ less than full tang would be honest from my piont of view.

Regards

Uwe

Making money with his work ist nothing bad i think.

But allways shouting out his stuff is perfekt and the best, is kind of suspicius for me, as is also telling people he is innovative making 30 years the same stuff with the same steel, same HT and same sharpening stone and compares this with the innovation level of the modern automotive industry :D

He even wants to tell us making half tang like on 3$ kinves is an innovation ;)

Saying half tang saves steel and time an selling them for maybe 50$ less than full tang would be honest from my piont of view.

Regards

Uwe

I'm not saying don't make money. I'm saying don't spout the same talk about King 1k/6k stone and newspaper, White steel, anything else is for inferior Smith's, for how long? And now Spyderco and Nanohone are so good now that you have to brag about them without saying how wrong you were? How much you've learned and moved past that? Nope, just "HEAR! LOOKS! SHINY NEW TOYS! with only marketing circular explanations"

Yeah, damage control with playing a card that looks like it's not working.

Now, I know for a fact that Carter can sharpen really well. So that's his forte. And it would have been really easy to justify the nanohone approach from this perspective, saying something simple like this. "I've been developing my sharpening skills for years and shared them with others to the best of my abilities. You have been following me in countless videos. During this period I saw many struggle with my approach on very soft stones. I've learned a lot from this and decided to try something different, considering that I plan to make my products available for more and more people and I want them to be able to get the best cutting experience. And since a change was happening, why not get the best on the market right now? (you see, I'm promoting them already to best possible options and I hold some reality over it) So, after much consideration I've decided to fully endorse Nanohone, an American company bla bla bla (I could go on)... " this takes a couple of minutes to tell people and that was that. And would have been real.

I just want to say, I'm not crapping on Nanohone, the stones (400, 1k and 6k) were quite nice, really great polish. Everything else I felt was well made but overpriced. And I still feel Nanohone should of came out with a universal stone holder plate instead of the blank plates.

I just can't remember something even if my life would depend on it. It's like I can touch them, I know them, but nothing.
What's the name of those huge sharpening stones made to be used on a base resembling a "rhino" I think. I saw some maybe 3-4 years ago.

I know the "rhino-stones".
It is an older series by Shapton. If I remember correctly, then the stones were intended only for the Japanese market, especially for restaurants and restaurants. these stones also had a special holder, only with this holder stones could be used.

I just can't remember something even if my life would depend on it. It's like I can touch them, I know them, but nothing.
What's the name of those huge sharpening stones made to be used on a base resembling a "rhino" I think. I saw some maybe 3-4 years ago.

Hippo?

Much appreciated!
Indeed, the hippo stone. All I could think of was "rhino"... Silly me.
http://hamono.ocnk.net/product-list?keyword=替砥石
So, it's not all lost since the guys at Nanohone didn't conditioned the stones to be used in a very specific way. They could have.
All accessories might have been considered after own Shapton's Glass line, as if I remember right, Shapton also has a stupid expensive pond amongst other things. This might have been a mistake. Also some products got more expensive over time.

There is a post on IG where they stick a glass stone to their plate, seriously ?

I never used anything from this company but I never been so repelled buy an abrasive company than this one. To me this is total snake oil.

Several people me mentioned poor social skills and behavior of the Nanohone team, I would appreciate if you guys could post a few links. The briefly checked their IG and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

Several people me mentioned poor social skills and behavior of the Nanohone team, I would appreciate if you guys could post a few links. The briefly checked their IG and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

Nanohone is fine on IG. Carter Cutlery's Cait is the one with no 'social' media 'skills'.

I was watching the Carter promotional video for Nano Hone stuff, which put particular emphasis on the $25 colored-aluminium blank back plates and 2-sided tape, for using other stones with the proprietary Nano Hone base. And I thought I noticed substantial slop in the tolerances used to machine the matching divots/studs in the plates/base. If that's indeed the case, and the plates can actually shift noticeably even as they're positioned on the studs -- because the designers opted for looser tolerances to save on production cost...

Can anyone with experience of the product confirm that the studs on the base and the divots in the plates are tightly matched enough to prevent any noticeable movement of one relative to the other, at least?

Nanohone is fine on IG. Carter Cutlery's Cait is the one with no 'social' media 'skills'.
+1 as well as Murrays disingenuous damage control efforts via vlog. Its just all a bit cringeworthy. No issues with Nano hone per se.

Back