Natural patina

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
I have heard that cutting protein, especially poultry, creates a blue-violet patina on carbon steel. Is cutting chicken and leaving the knife unwashed for 10-20 minutes a good way to get a blue patina going on a new knife? The steel is Aogami Super. Thanks.

May do the trick, but please clean immediately the very edge, e.g. by cutting lightly in a cork or a wad of kitchen paper.

I've seen the most electric blues by slicing cooked poultry, waiting around 3 minutes, then pouring boiling water down the knife to clean it. Give it a try!

I do it in the following way: I slightly under cook chicken breast. Then i cut a thick slice and I rub it all over the knife. I leave it for 5 mins and I repeat this at least 4-5 times.

It gives beautiful blue-violet patina.

Boiling water??? Is that not hot enough to alter tempering??

Oh, good to hear. Somewhere i read or heard not to use water hot enough to burn you....
Never really made sense, but I figured it was better to err on the side of caution.

I usually just buy the most expensive dry aged fillet mignon I can find. Then I force the blade inside it creating a meat saya. I let it rest for 10 minutes. Then I rinse the blade in boiled Burgundy. If you can find some 71, 85 or 86 vintage Grand cru, so much the better. Then I just wipe the blade and toss away the wine and the meat.

Back