Natural Stones vs Synthetic Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Synths are usually a little to aggressive for me ,they always seem to leave quite the scratches

On a side note, can anyone identify the knife I posted on the first page?

It's probably been overlooked by the folks that know that sort of thing. Looks like a no-frill, carbon. Very average. Suggest you start a new thread "Knife ID Help" or some such and post it agian. Include photos of both sides and any visible markings on the blade. May want to knock some of the crud off first.

In terms of the question on stones, I agree with what the others say here.

I'd recommend checking out Dave Martell's website and maybe PMing him. The stones that he carries are top-shelf and the pricing is the lowest that I've seen anywhere (a Kitayama 8000 for under $65?!). He also knows a little something regarding sharpening.

You can also look at the ToolsefromJapan.com special Sigma sharpening set. It's geared towards woodworking, but should work great for any knives. Stu is a pretty solid guy. I'll probably be looking into buying this set, mainly for woodworking. He's highly respected at Sawmillcreek.

For your first stones: coarse and medium grits, I highly recommend a good ceramic stone. This will allow you to do repairs, reprofiling, and deal with almost any steel on the market. For Fine, Ceramics and articifical reconstituted stones are great too.

For fine and finishers, Naturals are nicer, but on the right steel. For an amateur like me, good white steel or the stainless equivalent (AEBL, Heiji's SS) is an absolute pleasure on a great stone. They're not as abrasive, but they have this sexy, silky feel (at least the stone that I have) and can leave a very "gentle" edge for lack of a better word... You'd have to experience it.

No affiliation. Just a prospective customer of Dave, and a satisfied customer of Stu.

-Matt

ps. If you're ever around Berkeley, CA, Hida tool caries NOS natural finishing stones from Kyoto. They're not sold on the website, since the stock is variable and non-renewed. However, the stones are very high quality. You can only buy them in person.

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually already got the Gesshin stone set from JKI and an Atoma 140 from Japan-tool.

However I am already considering adding a natural stone to my synthetics haha.

Hawaii is a good place to find old carbons laying around mostly from Japan. Is there Kanji on the opposite side?

Keith - there is Kanji only on that one side. I definitely would like to restore it even if it is a cheapo carbon haha.

Back