Need me some stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandeezd

Reaction score
Recently picked up a Gesshin Ginga and want to learn how to sharpen. Halfway through the JKI sharpening videos, and have a general idea of what I need, but not exactly. Like the knives, the stones seem to have their share of options, even among similar girts.

In addition to sharpening the Ginga, I also have a couple Globals, and a bunch of German style knives that haven't been sharpened in years - a handful also have a number of small chips. I figure I can get some good practice in on the Globals and Germans before the Ginga needs sharpening.

I figure I need a 1000 or so to start (per the JKI recco to learn on that), but know I'll want a higher finishing stone at some point, especially since I'll get a carbon also sometime this year.

I'm also wondering if I need to get a lower grit stone for the German style knives since they need a lot more work. It's been years since they've been sharpened and are pretty dull. And then the chips also need repairing. I was considering a stone that's a little more affordable for this since I'll really just be using the cheaper knives on this stone. Was looking at maybe a Shapton 320. Is there a difference between the Kuromaku and the Pro? The kuromaku is a bit cheaper on Amazon and one review though they were basically the same stone.

Let me know your thoughts and recommendations on all this!

Get a cheap coarse stone and spend your $ on a nice finisher (and something to flatten with). Jon's pink 220 comes to mind for quick and not too costly.

I agree with the pink 220, I 'like' it. I really do not like stones in that abrasive range but that one is better than the other.

I figure I can get some good practice in on the Globals and Germans before ... needs sharpening.

keep in mind that you still need some skills to sharpen these knives.

Back