New to Knives - Looking For My First Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryce

Reaction score
I've only been living out in the real world on my own for a couple of years now and naturally I just took whatever hand-me-downs I could get my hands on to start and that included knives.

As I've started cooking more and more I've found myself more fascinated with knives not just as a tool, but as a piece of functional art. I want to get into my first Japanese knife (wish I had picked one up while in Kyoto). From what I've gathered just by doing my own research I assume I should start with a Gyuto and I think 180-210mm would be good for me since I'm on the shorter side and don't do any larger prep work.

Anyways, I'm hoping people with more expertise can help point me in the right direction. I appreciate it!

U.S.A.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180-210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing/Chopping/Mincing Vegetables and Slicing Meat. Occasional fish work.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
J.A. Heckels Chef Knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pointed Finger

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice, Back Slice, Rock Chop (Would like to learn chopping)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better Aesthetics, Ease of Use

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Blade: Demascus or hammered
Handle: Wood (not picky past that)

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Prefer balance at center or slightly towards blade

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Ease of sharpening, better at chopping, better food release

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not a big deal

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood or synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. Want to learn to use whetstones.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. Any point in the right direction on stones would also be appreciated.

Anryu Blue #2 210 Gyuto (polished finish)
or
Anryu Aogami Super (AS) 210 gyuto (Kurouchi finish)

Both cost ~$200. Both are made by a 4th generation blacksmith (Anryu) who has been making knives for over 50 years himself. Do i need to say more?

You could do worse starting with Gesshin Stainless or Uraku series. They're often recommended first knives by the pro chefs. Write Jon at JKI and ask if he's expecting them back in stock soon.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...als/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyutohttps://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-uraku-210mm-stainless-wa-gyuto
I'm also fan of the Mac Pro series. There are more economical options, but I found it was a solid starter and good to learn sharpening on.
I'm a home cook, so if any real chefs wander in, take their advice over mine.

The King 1000/6000 combo stone is a classic starter stone that won't break the bank, and will help learn good sharpening fundamentals. If you're working with seriously dull knives, you might also need a coarse (200-400 grit) stone.

Depending on where in the US you are located, if this isn't something you need/want in a week, you might want to consider looking for a local maker who can make what you want according to your requirements.

Depending on where in the US you are located, if this isn't something you need/want in a week, you might want to consider looking for a local maker who can make what you want according to your requirements.

+1 for this, lots of great makers who are very personable are hanging around hungry for your business.

If you choose to just make a purchase and not have one made, for your price range I would skip out on Damascus offerings (I’m sure theres some exception to this), and look for a nice monosteel stainless 210 since you’re prioritizing aesthetics over edge retention. It also helps to browse the BST section, even if there’s no knives for sale that currently fit the bill you can look at recently sold knives and approximate your own resale value in case the knife doesn’t stand up to your Henckels.

Again, highly recommend poking your head around and reaching out to a craftsman to get you what you need. It can be intimidating if you’re not sure what to ask for but it will certainly be faster than researching grinds, profiles, etc if you’re not looking to start a serious collection, and spend some serious money. If at the end of your journey you still can’t make a decision, there’s always the option of making a WTB post and just seeing what’s out there. It’ll be good for you to compromise aesthetics and maybe jump in on the above mentioned King 1k/6k Stone soon too, it’ll be easier to learn to sharpen and touch up on a fresher blade rather than waiting to really dull or possibly chip... I think. I’m not so great at sharpening myself, but I’m figuring it out. I don’t feel bad about possibly having to pay to get my knives sharpened either, you’ll find there are a lot of genuinely awesome and knowledgeable people around and it feels nice to support them.

+1 for this, lots of great makers who are very personable are hanging around hungry for your business.

If you choose to just make a purchase and not have one made, for your price range I would skip out on Damascus offerings (I’m sure theres some exception to this), and look for a nice monosteel stainless 210 since you’re prioritizing aesthetics over edge retention. It also helps to browse the BST section, even if there’s no knives for sale that currently fit the bill you can look at recently sold knives and approximate your own resale value in case the knife doesn’t stand up to your Henckels.

Again, highly recommend poking your head around and reaching out to a craftsman to get you what you need. It can be intimidating if you’re not sure what to ask for but it will certainly be faster than researching grinds, profiles, etc if you’re not looking to start a serious collection, and spend some serious money. If at the end of your journey you still can’t make a decision, there’s always the option of making a WTB post and just seeing what’s out there. It’ll be good for you to compromise aesthetics and maybe jump in on the above mentioned King 1k/6k Stone soon too, it’ll be easier to learn to sharpen and touch up on a fresher blade rather than waiting to really dull or possibly chip... I think. I’m not so great at sharpening myself, but I’m figuring it out. I don’t feel bad about possibly having to pay to get my knives sharpened either, you’ll find there are a lot of genuinely awesome and knowledgeable people around and it feels nice to support them.

I'm definitely a bit intimidated to find independent makers as I'm not well versed enough at this point to really tell them what I'd need past what the questionnaire asked. Although, I'd assume if I found someone they'd hopefully be willing to work with me in figuring that out.

From what ya'll are telling me and what I've been able to gather online, I'll probably end up with the King as my starter stone.

I'll do some looking around for a maker & take a look BST. Thanks for the tips!

For the OP - keep in mind @coffeelover191919 's suggestions above are both carbon steel blades, not stainless which you have requested.

Most of the damascus gyuto's are above the $200 price point (and there's lots to choose from between $200-$300). One that does fit the budget that you could consider is this Sakai Takayuki which is both hammered and has a damascus cladding:

https://mtckitchen.com/sakai-takayuki-damascus-hammered-vg-10-gyuto-210mm-8-2-with-wa-handle/

This looks like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anryu Blue #2 210 Gyuto (polished finish)
or
Anryu Aogami Super (AS) 210 gyuto (Kurouchi finish)

Both cost ~$200. Both are made by a 4th generation blacksmith (Anryu) who has been making knives for over 50 years himself. Do i need to say more?
Both of those knives are beautiful, but I know I'm not quite careful enough for Carbon Steel. My patina would more be classified as rust.

I had a chance to use Gesshin Uraku and it is a very well balanced knife, user friendly and the steel felt good. Decent edge holding, rather easy to sharpen. Definitely a good option in your price range.

You could do worse starting with Gesshin Stainless or Uraku series. They're often recommended first knives by the pro chefs. Write Jon at JKI and ask if he's expecting them back in stock soon.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...als/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyutohttps://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-uraku-210mm-stainless-wa-gyuto
I'm also fan of the Mac Pro series. There are more economical options, but I found it was a solid starter and good to learn sharpening on.
I'm a home cook, so if any real chefs wander in, take their advice over mine.

The King 1000/6000 combo stone is a classic starter stone that won't break the bank, and will help learn good sharpening fundamentals. If you're working with seriously dull knives, you might also need a coarse (200-400 grit) stone.

These are beautiful. Reaching out to see if they have an ETA on new stock.

I just got the 165mm petty version of this knife:

Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives

I'm liking it a lot, very nice finish for the price and the SLD has impressed me so far (needed a light touch-up sharpening out of the box).

IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5770.jpg
IMG_5771.jpg

I have an Arashiyama 1K and 6K. But at the risk of being declared a heretic, I get better and much faster results using a slack belt (no hard platen) belt sander with a micro-mesh 600MX finishing belt:

Micro-Mesh® Belts - Belts - Products by Type -MICRO-SURFACE FINISHING PRODUCTS, INC

The 600MX is equivalent to 5 micron abrasive Grit Conversion -MICRO-SURFACE FINISHING PRODUCTS, INC and a couple of light passes alternating sides is all it takes to touch up an edge. Then about 20 strops on a hanging denim strop loaded with Flitz metal polish takes care of any micro-burr. I read a lot about sharpening on this site: scienceofsharp and found I got better results using some of his techniques as opposed to traditional waterstones. This is how I sharpened the petty and I was amazed how sharp it got, all in about 1 minute.

Back