Newbie Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may have asked this question before but I've had some problems with Internet service so forgive me if it's a double post.
Am I correct in assuming that a diamond plate of a given grit size will be faster than a waterstone of the same grit size?

Might be an oversimplified question.

First, many diamond plates have ANSI grit ratings that will not be the same as a JIS rating so the grit number alone isn't a solid comparison.

Second, I would personally say, that in the most basic terms, diamond is likely somewhat faster at the specific step. But, diamonds can and often do, leave some harsh scratches and a rougher edge and that can lead to more time on stones later.

Steel type, task, desired results can all be factors as well. For example, white #1 might thin out quickly on a basic ceramic stone. Maybe it thins a little faster on a diamond, but that be a very small amount of time. On the other hand, some high carbide steels will respond much better to diamonds and show a significant difference compared to standard water stones.

Do you have something specific in mind?

I may have asked this question before but I've had some problems with Internet service so forgive me if it's a double post.
Am I correct in assuming that a diamond plate of a given grit size will be faster than a waterstone of the same grit size?

No. In fact cutting speed on diamond plates often goes up when the size of grit particle goes down. Some DMT plates like the Coarse and Fine can be quite slow while the Extra Extra Fine (which is junk btw) is very fast.

Even water stones of different brands can be wildly different in cutting speed.

And then there is the question of what kind of steel is being cut.

IMHO it is best to judge each stone or plate on its own merits independent from other plates and stones. However, in a general sense I find diamond plates to be a little slower than the most aggressive water stones but faster than the slowest water stones.

When we talk about vitrified diamond plates I see a sort of advantage (in my limited experience) - no matter the steel, they always cut at the same speed, unlike most waterstones.

Might be an oversimplified question.

First, many diamond plates have ANSI grit ratings that will not be the same as a JIS rating so the grit number alone isn't a solid comparison.

Second, I would personally say, that in the most basic terms, diamond is likely somewhat faster at the specific step. But, diamonds can and often do, leave some harsh scratches and a rougher edge and that can lead to more time on stones later.

Steel type, task, desired results can all be factors as well. For example, white #1 might thin out quickly on a basic ceramic stone. Maybe it thins a little faster on a diamond, but that be a very small amount of time. On the other hand, some high carbide steels will respond much better to diamonds and show a significant difference compared to standard water stones.

Do you have something specific in mind?
No I don't have anything specific and I have noticed the diamonds tend to leave scratches.
Wasn't aware there were two different ratings for the grades.
Thanks for the info.

One factor with a diamond plate, is that because the abrasives aren't breaking off, and revealing new abrasive underneath. You are slowly loosing cutting speed as either the diamonds dull, or as you break the bond and rub the diamond off. Eventually leaving a fairly slow cutting dull plate.

However with a fresh diamond plate. It's hard to find something that will match the speed the can cut.

Back